Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: has anyone used these templates?

has anyone used these templates?

Hello,

Sometime ago I bought these creative grid templates. I am going to try to use them soon, but I really can't find any examples of quilts made using these

Has any one here used these templates? I am just wondering about how to mix lights and darks you know....

https://smile.amazon.com/Creative-Gr...uilt+templates

Here is a video about them. Lots of examples.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlfD9DXp9GQ
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

wow! thank you so much!

It looks in the link like they are for a specific block. I'd try making four and laying them together in different directions.
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

I clicked on the link you provided to them on Amazon, and right there on the page was the book that connects with the acrylic templates, says it is a playbook for them, containing 7 quilts.

they remind me of a crazy patch block...........
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way.
    Virginia Woolf

I have a set a bit different from that one, but also by creative....bought several yrs ago. The set makes a great crazy quilt. Layer 6 different blocks of fabric cut the pieces, then flip 5 and sew together. Each block will be different. I know they have a tute on YouTube showing exactly how to do it. It was fun, as I recall!

https://www.creativegridsusa.com/designers/1419 Karen Montgomery is the designer of the sets and also has written several Scrap Crazy books. https://store.thequiltcompany.com/st...me=Scrap+Crazy If you are ever in the Pittsburgh, PA area, a trip to The Quilt Company is an absolute treat. Quilts hanging from the second floor railing, batiks galore, samples and more samples, lots of FQs (they will even cut them for you), a sale room, retreat center and maybe even more sometimes. She also designs patterns under her company name, The Quilt Company. Karen also designed fabrics and patterns for Timeless Treasures for years. All People Quilt website has quite a few of her patterns still on their website for free. I am not affiliated with her or her company but was a happy quilter when I lived in the Pittsburgh area.

If you Google Karen Montgomery Tonga free pattern and you will see quite a few. Probably more than you want to tackle ...

I have them, but yet to use them also. Could you use them as in stacking lights and dark's together, cut all the pieces then move 1 piece from A to the bottom of the pile , 2 pieces from B to the bottom of the pile , and 3 pieces from C to the bottom of the pile, etc. The quilt would be scrappy when sewn back together. Is this as clear as mud???

I have some very similar. I used them for cutting up scraps. Makes a great quilt.

I have this set of templates and they are great for scrap projects - for Christmas there is a pattern using these to make stockings... Great fun - lots of possibilities!

Quote Originally Posted by meyert View Post
    Hello,

Sometime ago I bought these creative grid templates. I am going to try to use them soon, but I really can't find any examples of quilts made using these

Has any one here used these templates? I am just wondering about how to mix lights and darks you know....

https://smile.amazon.com/Creative-Gr...uilt+templates
    I am so glad you asked about these. I just ordered a set along with the book. And I will be checking out the quilts as suggested by AUQuilter.

I love Creative Grid rulers. They are well made and well thought-out. I love that they offer a lot of projects/options to do with their most of their rulers, unlike many other specialty rulers.

Blog Entries
    I bought them with the idea of doing some crazy quilting on them but it hasn't happened yet.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I also have these & a book. Maybe I will find them again as I am sorting the sewing room. Thanks for the reminder.

I don't have that template set; but I have templates like that. I did a search for karen montgomery the designer and there are a lot of ideas from her using the templates hope this helps.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

I dreamed about these last night I wonder if I can wait until I get to Paducah this fall to get them?
    The way they are used for the yellow flower quilt would make a great leader ender project, as the pieces are assembled like tumblers.

I dreamed about these last night I wonder if I can wait until I get to Paducah this fall to get them?
    nah just buy them now

aren't we just instant gratification people

I'm going to Paducah this fall and am saving little things like this for usable/practical souvenirs. I don't buy fabric and I think things like this will be fun huntables

I went to a retreat in September and Karen Montgomery, the creator of this ruler, was the retreat instructor! We had a blast making one of the methods/designs during the retreat. It went together so quickly. Karen had a trunk shows of all of the quilts that she has made using this ruler set....the variety is impressive! I purchased both books so that I would have all of the patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sew much to do in sew little time!

I'll try to post some of her trunk show pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And some more... oh, well....I can't get the other pictures to upload. Sorry!

Thanks to this thread and the YouTube videos linked and pictures posted, my dh has ordered me a set off Amazon today. Looking forward to their arrival
    Enabling at its finest! lol!