Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show? >

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Has a Jury Ever Rejected Your Quilt From a Show?

Old 03-09-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I would imagine hundreds are rejected at the major shows. It's quite an honor to show in Paducah or Houston. I think of those shows as the cream of the crop. Or sometimes, something not seen before. Good for you for applying and showing. That's really neat. I'm not that caliber of quilter, yet. Maybe one day.
It is Paducah that my quilt was juried into. I really expected to be rejected and was surprised when I got in.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:11 PM

thanks for starting this thread, Eyes. I am entering a quilt into the KC REgional Quilt Fest--not juried, but based on the first one held in 2015, will certainly draw excellent quilts. And this year we were warned that there had been many requests for info from big time quilters from outside the Midwest, especially since IMQS disbanded and there is not an MQS anymore. That being said, I'm really nervous about the whole thing, although I don't anticipate a ribbon (based on what I saw in 2015) I do hold we get written judges critique (which is what I'm really looking for) and that I don't embarrass myself! But I truly believe that we learn something about either ourselves, or quilting, which each quilt we make--that is what I LOVE about quilting!
Old 03-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanks JENNR8R, I think that's awesome! It goes to show that you never know until you try. Congratulations!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Folks, I am a "rank amateur" when it comes to quilting. However, anyone who, apparently very loudly, criticizes another's work needs to learn how to keep their mouth shut. That person also needs an attitude adjustment, IMHO! Anyone who "crabs" like that at a show where anyone can hear is the one who needs the improvement.

In my opinion, not one of us is "perfect". Only one man who walked this earth was perfect, and he was nailed to a tree. We can never achieve perfection --we're all human, and imperfect. We must strive for excellence, and not set a goal of perfection -- that goal will never be achieved. I've never entered a show, don't consider that I've enough experience quilting, etc. to enter a show. I make quilts and consider them made with love -- for my family. I'd rather make a quilt for love than for the sole goal of winning a ribbon. Sorry if I've stepped on anyone's toes -- JMHO!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
thanks for starting this thread, Eyes. I am entering a quilt into the KC REgional Quilt Fest--not juried, but based on the first one held in 2015, will certainly draw excellent quilts. And this year we were warned that there had been many requests for info from big time quilters from outside the Midwest, especially since IMQS disbanded and there is not an MQS anymore. That being said, I'm really nervous about the whole thing, although I don't anticipate a ribbon (based on what I saw in 2015) I do hold we get written judges critique (which is what I'm really looking for) and that I don't embarrass myself! But I truly believe that we learn something about either ourselves, or quilting, which each quilt we make--that is what I LOVE about quilting!
I did not start the thread but was the first to whine about following postings judging others because some have forgotten we start our quilting journeys at different times. Some walking faster than others and may have different talents or no talents but we will all get there. Those who finish first should have patience for those of us still walking.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:19 AM

If you hear someone "critiquing" all the quilts, ask them "Which one is yours? I would love to see the one you made."

Chances are there won't be one.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I'm glad some quilts are rejected. I would be irked to see a poorly made quilt in a nice quilt show that I paid money to go to.
I think it is unfair of you to assume that a quilt is rejected because it is poorly made.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:59 AM

I have been watching some episodes of The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims. They talk about some quilts being rejected because of the photos of the quilt. They also have talked about it may not be the type quilt that show is looking for.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:31 AM

I think it's interesting that someone said they wouldn't want to see quilts with mis-matched seams at a show they paid to attend. I go to the big Pacific International Quilt Festival every year and I have seen GORGEOUS quilts on display there every year, and almost every time, when I get up real close and personal, I can find errors if I look for them. Mismatched seams, slightly clipped points, quilting lines with little bips and bobbles...

I actually LIKE it when I find those subtle little problems. Why? Because my first impression of the quilt was that it was amazing and impressive and in some way unique or very interesting to me - otherwise I wouldn't be studying it so closely. So if a quilt in a huge show that looks that amazing can still contain a few little errors...well, maybe that means my always-imperfect work is better than I thought. It reassures me about my own work, and encourages me to display my work more proudly, and makes me think that perhaps some day I'll be brave enough to enter one of my (imperfect) quilts into a juried show.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Yes, I have had one rejected from an AQS show. Five others have been accepted. I do know many people who have not made it in. I will have one in the Paducah Spring Show next month. It is still an "over the moon" experience. I, too, am just thrilled to be a semi-finalist.