Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has quilting made you more or less of a loner? >

Has quilting made you more or less of a loner?

Has quilting made you more or less of a loner?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Donna - please don't let the loss of your friend keep you from trusting others. Sometimes people just grow apart. If she won't or can't tell you why, it is her loss. I had a good friend that was kind of the same way - but I was the one that pulled away. It got to where I was expected to cater to her every wish. I had to believe the same way she did, and think the same way she did. When I talked to her about this, she was very offended. Having even one or two good friends makes us very rich - I hate to see you seclude yourself like you are. One step at a time...try getting out a little. I have three sisters and I can't imagine not having them. Hugs to all that are hurting.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Sorry about your sister. I'm definitely spending more time home alone, but when i'm quilting, I'm never lonely.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by leamelon
I was already a loner and a crafter and I'd rater quilt than be around my negative neighbors
AMEN to that
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM

I'm sorry about your sister, I lost my only brother to brain cancer several years ago and even tho we lived far apart, I miss him.

In some sense quilting has done both for me. I too have health issues, so I can't always rely on being able to go out. I try to, but just not always possible. So being on here is part of my social life and I hope to meet some of the QB members at the Atlanta Quilt show in 2 weeks. But I can always pick up some quilting and do a bit.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 AM

Quilting has always been social for me. I think the thing that has forced me toward being a loner are kids. My family and friends all work and I am a stay at home mom. My groups don't like when bring the kids and getting a babysitter is hard. I am thankful for the board since it allows me to connect virtually when live interactions seem impossible.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Hmm. Its been interesting reading all of these. Because I too am a loner. Always have been. Even being the eldest of 6 kids. Our family isn't close and honestly most of them I just don't like. I don't do well at small talk at all. Since moving in with my brother I spend probably 90% of my time alone except for my dog.When I lived in GA it took me a long time to make friends and they were all associated with the humane society.I just don't see the point in making friends and being forced to leave them that and having "friends" stab me in the back has happened too many times. So I come on here to get any social interaction I need and the rest of the time stay with me and Andy. People are always telling me to get out more. To Where??? LOL
Old 03-01-2011, 09:20 AM

So sorry about your sister. In my case quilting brought me a lot of friends. Years ago when I first started quilting, I didnot know anyone else who did. I was a stay-at-home mom and lonely for adult company even though I lived in a large metropolitan area (Baltimore, MD). In a big city people tend to stay to themselves, rarely even knowing their neighbors. Well in the local paper I saw an advertise for a quilt quild in my area. Even though I was scared to death to go by myself I figured if they loved quilting as much as I did they would welcome me with open arms. They did and now 25 years later I have a wonderful circle of quilting friends that I would have never know if I hadn't made that scary move and attended my first quilt quild meeting.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Actually, I would rather quilt than leave the house. However, I am not comfortable around lots of people (just dogs) so I can not blame quilting. I am so sorry about your sister. There is a big difference between being alone and being lonely. ♥
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM

I've always been a loner but feel I have many friends here on the Board.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Sorry about your sister. I'm not a loner. Belong to 3 guilds, and when I worked I didn't have time to do much of anything else. Now all my friends here quilt. I've lost a real good quilting friend 2 yrs ago. She taught me some quilting long distance on the phone. My DH said it would have been cheaper to send me to IA. to learn. I've always been a people person.