Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have  oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing? >

Have oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing?

Have oneyou ever "farmed out" your quilt piecing?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by everybody's mother
The applique looks like machine done to me, with hand embroidery touches. Very pretty!
Nope, all hand applique. My sewing machine is, seriously, a 1969 Montgomery Ward model. Probably why I don't do a very good job sewing on it. Hubby bought it for me the first Christmas we were married. So obviously, no applique work done on that antique. It does straight stitching, and if it gets fancy - zig-zag.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Having someone else piece the top wouldn't be any different than having someone else quilt it so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about having it done. It is certainly going to be a beautiful quilt.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM

I don't think it matters who does the work as long as the quilt gets made. I do all the work & when it is time to hand sew the binding on, I take the quilts to my sisters who loving doing that part. It works for us. So what I am saying do whatever works for you!!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM

I think all is fair in love and quilting! Example - A good friend had made the 12" blocks for a rather large throw quilt for her sun porch. When it got to cutting and adding the sashing and borders, she was stymied. She had never done anything bigger than a wall hanging or baby quilt before, and the measurements of all that bigger stuff were scaring her.

We cut a deal - I added the sashing, three borders, and binding (after I took it to a long-arm quilter) to her quilt, and she gave me fabric from her stash. We saw it as a win-win. My stash was meager, her quilt is done.

Do whatever makes you happy with this quilt. If the police come, tell them to go away!!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Banned

don't piece ,buy my tops in the main from US and most are v v good.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I think it is as important to know ones ability as it is to know ones shortcomings. If piecing is not something you like or are good at, then by all means let someone do it who will deliver a top that makes you happy. It is wonderful that you are honoring the quilting memory of your MIL.