Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you "Transdoodled"??? >

Have you "Transdoodled"???

Have you "Transdoodled"???

Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Has anyone used the Transdoodle paper to transfer quilt designs onto their quilt?? They say they are re-usable.....they better be because they are $19.00 online. (for four colors) Does any store off-line carry it??
Old 06-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Sounds interesting....???I am not familiar with these. Any place to go peek at them and what they do?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

looks like Ben Franklin and Crafter's Gallery carry it in their stores, if either of those are near you. it looks like the same 'carbon paper' and sprocketed wheel i used to use with sewing patterns
Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Yes I have. I love the product. It is not the same as the "carbon paper" that is used in sewing with the toothed roller. The paper is much finer, about the weight of tracing paper. The transfer substance works very well and is easy to see but it also rubs off easily like chaulk so unless you are putting the quilt on a rack, I would consider it a mark as you go product. The marks do not hold up to any kind of rubbing and come off very easily (too easily in some cases). It is reusable and I have transferred a lot of designs with one sheet but some colors seem to last longer than others, like the white I have been able to reuse a lot. Additionally the other colors I have not had any problems with them washing out.

That said, I too find it very spendy and am seeking out less expensive alternatives. Many here have mentioned Saral paper which is used for folk art/tole painting. I am familiar with this product from my tole painting days but have not used it to mark fabric, even though the manuf. says it is fine for fab. I plan on getting the white and graphite only of Saral.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Google Goddess

thanks for letting us know

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Yes I have. I love the product. It is not the same as the "carbon paper" that is used in sewing with the toothed roller. The paper is much finer, about the weight of tracing paper. The transfer substance works very well and is easy to see but it also rubs off easily like chaulk so unless you are putting the quilt on a rack, I would consider it a mark as you go product. The marks do not hold up to any kind of rubbing and come off very easily (too easily in some cases). It is reusable and I have transferred a lot of designs with one sheet but some colors seem to last longer than others, like the white I have been able to reuse a lot. Additionally the other colors I have not had any problems with them washing out.

That said, I too find it very spendy and am seeking out less expensive alternatives. Many here have mentioned Saral paper which is used for folk art/tole painting. I am familiar with this product from my tole painting days but have not used it to mark fabric, even though the manuf. says it is fine for fab. I plan on getting the white and graphite only of Saral.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Sounds interesting....???I am not familiar with these. Any place to go peek at them and what they do?
Just google Transdoodle paper......overstock.com shows some but is sold out......also look at some of the other sites.......
Leslie