Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you been shown a quilt you made years ago?

That's a pretty quilt, just think of all the great use it's had over the years. The only ones who criticize our works of love is us, we all expect or at least hope they all turn out perfect, but remember each "mistake" just adds to the uniqueness(? is that a word?) of our gift.

My first big quilt was for my second grdaughter,she had it for years adn dragged it around every place she lived.When she brought it to me the first time for mending,I was so shocked about the little I knew about quilting.I mended it several times and finally she knew she had to let it go.Asked me what I could do to save some of it,a pillow was made and she still has that. i doubt she even lets her family breathe on it.She is very sentimental about items made for her.

Quote Originally Posted by MissJMac
    OR get the H--- out of nephew's room before you contaminate the quilt with you aged cynicism. Shame on you, here's 40 lashes with a wet noodle LOL
    I've looked at your pics carefully and considered your story - ALL I SEE IS LOVE

:lol: It's the guest room. They put a couple twin beds in and then strung a rope between the 2 lights and hung the quilt to make a psuedo headboard. I thought it was quite ingenious. You get to do stuff like that at a lake house. :lol:

Actually when I first saw it did remember how proud I was of it. It was after I sat on the bed and noticed the details...but honestly it didn't really detract from how happy I was to see he was still using it. I know most people don't know the finer points of quilting. They aren't the quilt police-yeah. Most people just see the time and work you've put in for them and appreciate the love involved. :thumbup:

Been there, done that! Same scenario.

We all had to start some were , just think how far you have come , I would die if anyone saw my first quilt , I gave it to my MIL she love it.

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Absolutely! and so big! my first quilt was a 40x40 red/white quilt (of just 5 inch squares) for my last daughter. before that I only crocheted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingle
    I think it looks pretty good for a first quilt. Can't say mine looked any better. Heck I still can't figure alot of things out, but I keep plugging away. :D If I had made that quilt I would have been proud too. I think you did a nice job. :thumbup:

first quilts last quilts does not matter our mistakes is not what count the love in it is very special

I didn't much like the first quilts I made. I gave one to my sister and she still uses it on her bed and loves it. The others I gave to Goodwill. This was in the early 70's. Just last fall I was thumbing through some quilting books on old quilts at the bookstore and there was one of my poorly made quilts in the book as "an example of quilts made in the 70's" The author said she found the quilt at a Goodwill store and thought it was unique. It was my quilt because I embroidered my daughter's name on it and sure enough there was her name. I wish I had bought the book now but I just didn't have the money at the time.

Blog Entries
    my first quilt is at my DD and has been used and washed many times faded from sunlight also and that is a blessing the colors were way to strong so it has greatly improved with age !

I still have the first quilt I made in 1968.....a Dresden Plate from bright calicoes on white muslin. Every piece was cut with scissors. The petals were stitched by machine and every plate was hand appliqued. I laugh every time I look at it.

What a nice tribute to you!!! It is truely a gift from the heart and the recipient knew it!!! It is BEAUTIFUL

Love your story and the fact that it is still loved and in use. You've come a long way, baby!!

It is very cute and how neat is it that they still use it. They obviously like it too.

I've only been quilting since 2008, but I kept my first quilt specifically so I could see my progress. The woman who taught me to quilt showed the class her first quilt, and I thought it was great that she still had it. A first quilt is a masterpiece, if for no other reason than being finished!

After 25 yrs of loving use, it deserves to be a little unravelled. LOL

Blog Entries
    Isn't it nice when someone truly appreciates what you have done for them? Since he obviously enjoys and appreciates your quilts, maybe it is time to make him another one. With the new tools, techniques and your now expert skills, he would have another fabulous quilt to love for the future.

I think that is so wonderful that they are still using it. They saw only the love that went in to it. I hope you feel really good about this, as you well should feel!

Blog Entries
    my brother has one i made in high school 79-80 and still uses it , seen he lives with me i see it a lot lol :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by PWinston
    Isn't it nice when someone truly appreciates what you have done for them? Since he obviously enjoys and appreciates your quilts, maybe it is time to make him another one. With the new tools, techniques and your now expert skills, he would have another fabulous quilt to love for the future.
    Hmm, that is an idea. It would have to be a queen size or a couch throw. I'll have to think about it for a bit.

A friend invited me to see her room. There was my first whole cloth quilt, solid white, all cotton - including batting - on her bed. Lots of hand quilting. Her carpet is pale blue. Looked like an ice room. Beautiful (And I only charged her $200.00) But this was at least 20 years ago and at the time $200.00 was a fortune for me.

What a sweet story. We are our own worst critics.

At least he loves it enough to have it out and and using it. Not bad for not knowing how to assemble one. I bet you can really look at it now and figure what went wrong. Jan

Blog Entries
    that is awesome!

Just be glad it found a home where it's valued and has given comfort. Kudos!

Blog Entries
    i posted a picture of my first baby quilt for my first grandaughter on facebook. a friend from college posted that she still had, used, and loved my first pieced quilt made of denim,and corduoy 37 yrs ago. actually, she stole it from me, but i'm glad she's given it a good home and life! i do sometimes wish i still had it as it was soft and heavy and warm. and i left some pockets on so there were "secret" hiding places, and you could unzip zippers and hide stuff there, too. yes, i do miss that quilt!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast