Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you bought a machine at a show? >

Have you bought a machine at a show?

Have you bought a machine at a show?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

I have heard that you can't beat the price of the sewing machines being sold at large quilt shows. If the show is a distance from my home town, would I still somehow get classes and a warranty with my machine? Would I have to go to that city, or do they work that out with a local (to me) machine seller? Thanks for your help.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 AM

That's the negative about buying from a show. They can offer you great prices because often times they don't have the over head costs of your local dealership. Unless the vendor is local to you, you won't receive classes etc. And getting your local dealer to support warranty work can be a hassle. Your local dealer will give you the stink eye for sure. They don't make any money on warranty work and if they didn't make any profit on the sale either, they can be quite irritated:> If you factor in freebies like classes, sometimes 1st year service for free, and just the support offered by your local dealer is the savings really worth it? Only you can answer that question.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:10 AM

Sometimes, if you call your local dealer from the show, they will match the price. At least you will have given them a chance for your dollar. Remember too, that you won't have to carry a bulky machine home. That might be worth paying a couple more dollars to LQS.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM

Often it is a LQS representing a particular brand of sewing machines at these shows. They will sell the demo machines at a discount and cover warrantee, classes, and give help as needed. After all, it is their store you will be using to buy more things: attachments, and supplies.

A good friend got her Pfaff CV for an extremely good price through a quilt show.

ali
Old 06-20-2011, 11:15 AM

I have been with friends who have bought machines at the Vermont Quilt Festival. They definitely got great prices on the machines and the dealer brought the machines to our car. The price is a huge advantage to getting them from a show, but definitely service and classes should be taken into consideration.

SewAlice has a great thought of calling the dealer to see if they can match the show price. That way you can get a good price and the LQS can get a sale and some business from you.

Good luck! :thumbup:
Old 06-20-2011, 11:25 AM

I do not have a quilting shop within 45 min and purchased the Janome 3160 at Paducah KY Quilt Showfrom a quilt shop located in AL - it was brand new, wonderful price - I had been looking on web and a few friends have them - after they returned to their shop after the quilt show, they mailed me the machine, no tax, no s/h, and it arrived in perfect shape. I have called their shop with a few questions, and they have been wonderful. Just check out the shop before you buy - think on it, ask lots of questions and then go back if you are confident they are reputable. I had a really good experience. Linda
Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

If you know the brand that will be demonstating at the show, call a dealer in your area and ask if they will be selling machines from the show. This is how I bought my Bernina. My LQS was allowed to sell a certain amount in her area. I have all the classes and support through her store. It wouldn't hurt to ask in your area. Good Luck!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM

I bought my Bernina 25 years ago at a show, and recieved all the warantys and lessons from the local dealer
Old 06-20-2011, 12:43 PM

If you work it out with the seller at the quilt show, you should be OK...Most often it is a dealer that is in the vicinity of the show. Quite often the regional sales manager is in the booth, if it is a large show, and they can make arrangements with another dealer closer to your home. Including lessons and warrenty ...
Asking enough questions is the best thing you can do, before closing the deal.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
If you work it out with the seller at the quilt show, you should be OK...Most often it is a dealer that is in the vicinity of the show. Quite often the regional sales manager is in the booth, if it is a large show, and they can make arrangements with another dealer closer to your home. Including lessons and warrenty ...
Asking enough questions is the best thing you can do, before closing the deal.
This is what I would hope for since I am 2 hours away from the closest large show. I would really need classes since my machine is 25 years old...the new machines are totally different from what I have. Thanks for the info.