Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you Ever Created Your Own Printed Fabric For a Quilt? >

Have you Ever Created Your Own Printed Fabric For a Quilt?

Have you Ever Created Your Own Printed Fabric For a Quilt?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:50 AM
anonymous

Hawthorne threads is an online fabric shop that also prints many lines of their own fabrics. I have been very happy with their fabrics and some really cute lines. What I also like is that the fabric comes printed straight and you have many fabric (fiber) choices. Many color choices too. (no affiliation, just happy customer). I am working on a baby quilt right now and most of the fabrics are theirs.
Attached Thumbnails img_2242.jpg  

Old 09-17-2017, 05:52 AM
anonymous

Unfortunately my pic doesn't show the vibrant colors. Sorry to the fabric store. I also should point out that you can't submit your own pics for fabric printing.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I have a whole new stack of personal design fabrics from spoonflower. The fabrics are wonderful and the prints came out so vibrant. I can't wait to create a quilt with them
Oh, fun! I want to do that too. My own, personal collection of fabrics to make my own quilt. Do you also offer your designs to others on Spoonflower? If so, have you made any money doing that?

~ C
Old 09-18-2017, 08:54 AM

I designed myself some quilt labels and put them up on Spoonflower (you can make things private so they don't show up for anybody else). I designed them so 8 would fit on an 8x8 "sample", which is pretty inexpensive to order.

They turned out great, I'm just a Bad Quilter and never label my quilts, even after designing my own personal custom set. I can't tell you how they wear, because they're still brand-new and unused, but the color came out just how I expected it to, the (cotton) fabric has a good hand to it, and my small text lines printed out nice and sharp.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:09 PM

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful!!!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:41 AM

Hey all, I posted a pic of the collaboration DH and I did using fabric we had printed by Spoonflower. It's in the pictures forum under thread titled landscape collaborative quilt. It will give you an idea of the quality of the printing done by Spoonflower.

Rob
Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks Rob...I'm gonna go take a look!

~ C
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM

My daughter's friend bought Spoonflower fabric from an Etsy shop that I made a crib sheet with. It was a very black Harry Potter theme fabric. I found it stiff, though I washed it before sewing it. I think it was because the fabric was almost all black with only a little white for the design. Black is such a hard color to print so I don't blame Spoonflower. It is something to think about if you ask them to print something tough.