Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter?? >

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Have you ever cut yourself with a rotary cutter??

Old 08-13-2011, 12:24 PM

So glad that it was not a bad cut and no damage done to the quilt. Yes, twice as a matter of fact and both times it was deep enough to need stitches. Just like you, per say, zipping along and wham somehow I managed to get my finger in the way. I hope that it never happens again or to anyone for that matter.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

yep, i was using my 24 inch ruler that has a plastic guard along one side. but of course i'd picked it up and was cutting on the side without the guard.
i evidently hit something and the cutter went up over the ruler and onto my thumb. cut it badly. bled for 4 hours and went to ER, sat another hour and it stopped by then. all they did was wrap miles of gause around it. later i bought a metal finger guard since i'd cut nerves that were very sensitive for weeks afterwards.
i'm much more careful now!! also use a cutter that has the handle you squeeze to open the blade and when you let go the safety shuts it automatically. good in case i were to drop it.... ouch!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:31 PM

When I first started quilting my youngest son wanted to help. Of course being a boy he wanted to use the rotary cutter. So I held the ruler as far back as I could and he cut, he cut right over the top of my nail on my middle finger. I instantly brought my hand back and covered it with my other hand so it wouldn't bleed on the fabric and so he couldn't see it. He was around 12 or 13. His eyes were the size of dinner plates and so were mine, he threw the rotary cutter on the floor and followed me to the bathroom asking if he'd cut off my finger. I was afraid to look, afraid to let go of my finger. Turning on the water with my white knuckles letting the water get really cold to help stop any bleeding that may be under my white knuckled grip. As soon as I let go the blood just poured out, I'm cut on the diaginal from nail tip to knuckle, making it look much worse than what it was, my son freaks out, thinking I'm in need of a medic. Being a tough single mom and seeing that I'm gonna loose this nail and doubting it even leaves a scar I tell him to get the large bandaids and some gauze. After bandaging it up and applying ice, and holding my finger over my head I got the bleeding to stop. My finger is good as new, and my son hasn't wanted to help ever again. I lost the nail, it grew back, no permanent damage. Do I use a safety glove now, heck no.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Yes just once about a week ago.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:41 PM

So glad you didn't cut yourself more than the nick. I have a guard on my ruler for added protection. Grew up on farm an saw nasty accidents, so I'm always over cautious. Heck I almost padded the children when they grew up, as to avoid seeing blood!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

Guilty.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 PM

I have bumped the cutter (just barely) and ended up needing a bandaid! They are great, but for klutzes like me can be dangerous!
Old 08-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
dropped my rotary cutter on my foot one day (of course I was barefoot) Sliced the heck out of my foot and bled like crazy. Learned a hard lesson
Mine got knocked off the table and hit two toes and cut deep. I was leaving for Alaska in 2 wks and had to keep it wrapped as it kept "leaking" from all the walking. But it finally healed. I try to remember to close them when not in use. I'm always barefoot in the house.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:11 PM

When my DS was about 10 he wanted to see how the rotary cutter worked so was busy slicing up scraps when he nicked his finger... This is after being told several times to be careful cos it is sharp!!! Gave him a fright and he has left my quilting equipment alone since then
Old 08-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
dropped my rotary cutter on my foot one day (of course I was barefoot) Sliced the heck out of my foot and bled like crazy. Learned a hard lesson
dropped one that came VERY close to little feet years ago. Scared the heck out of me and i now only buy the automatically retracting ones! hope your foot healed quickly!