Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever done THIS? >

Have you ever done THIS?

Have you ever done THIS?

Old 08-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Yes, I've done this. Since it was a quilt for a child, I opened a seam and removed the pin, then closed the seam again. That taught me to check for the pins!

The ball of the pin won't hurt anyone. What I would do is work the shaft of the pin out of the fabric, get as close to the ball as you can with a wire cutter, and clip the shaft of the pin off the ball. If the ball of the pin bothers you, then go through the trouble of opening a seam and removing it. If it doesn't bother you, you're done.

You could also try pulverizing the ball on the pin with a mighty hammer blow after you take the shaft of the pin off.

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 PM

No that's a new one! It will bug you until you take it out, I think.

I HAVE left a pin in the front of my tshirt, gone to bed, woke up and it's still there the next morning. (When I'm hand sewing, I put the pin in the front of my shirt while I re-thread. Yes it's dumb.)

Last edited by Doggramma; 08-16-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:43 PM

I've never found a pin in anything I quilted; but when my granddaughter was a toddler, she found a straight pin in the hem of a dress I had smocked for her. Fortunately, she did not get hurt and I was able to remove the pin. After that, I always checked hems for stray pins; but never found another.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

It shouldn't be to hard to open a seam close to the head of the pin and work it out. I would think only a few stitches worth would be needed to do the task. Then blind stitch it closed.
peace
Old 08-17-2014, 03:01 AM

Take it out. You won't be happy until you do. Just a little extra work for you.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 AM

I would do whatever it takes to get the pin out! As sure as you leave it there, someone will get poked, and it could be a child.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 AM

Now I have another reason to continue using clips when binding instead of pins. So sorry this happened to you but I vote with those above that recommended to get it out.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:58 AM

From the original post, I understood that the ball and the shaft of the pin might be separated. A few snips of thread used to sew on the binding would get rid of the ball, but the shaft is going to be hard to find, especially since you really don't know if it is in there or not. But how would the ball get in there with out the shaft.
A lot of careful squeezing all over will be needed to find the shaft, and then it will come out easily.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 AM

If you can work it to a seam and get it all out that would be best, If you can't do that work the pin part out through the fabric and snip it off and leave the ball. It's not likely that anyone will ever know.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:55 AM

That's a new one to me, but I would take it out. Sure enough, someone will get poked with it.