Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever made a quilt that only you could love? >

Have you ever made a quilt that only you could love?

Have you ever made a quilt that only you could love?

Old 11-25-2019, 04:37 PM

I love purple and I think your quilt is going to be beautiful! I am currently working on a purple and mint improv quilt. I think it is going to be one of those that only I could love, since it is improv and not really well thought out, I don't have a lot of faith in it. but for me, it's the process and the strategies used in the making of it that make me still love it.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:21 PM

I have made one (in the last five years) with old fashioned calicoes from the 1980's that didn't seem to go with anything, not even each other. I made Ohio stars, all different, and then used an off-white sashing to space them out, and man, I really think it turned out pretty. Plus the backing is thick flannel so it's comfy and warm for me. I'm sure that many would not find it attractive at all.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 PM

I believe I really started this thread to see if anyone else had made a quilt that only they could love, but I find that I have enjoyed several of you saying you like this strange quilt too. Maybe I really wanted to just hear that?

At any rate, I really appreciate those of you who like this quilt, and I appreciate those who have had the same experience as I, thinking that no one else could love an unusual quilt that they had made.

Thanks to all. This board is a good place to be.

Dina
Old 11-25-2019, 08:12 PM

I'm not sure what makes you think it's weird or that only you could love it. A monochromatic quilt is not as easy as it looks (I've never tried it) and you have really done great making the center light and radiating to dark, and then have those bursts or whatever you call the lines that flare out in the background.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

Hey, only purple is great. shading is what counts in this quilt. so far you are doing well. Enjoy it!!
Old 11-25-2019, 08:55 PM

Last Christmas I made a table topper using beautiful fabrics, but one of them was wrong for a part of the square and when it was assembled, it just screamed at you. After all that work and the money it cost, I had to get it out of my sight, but not even my neighbor's dog would use it in his bed!! I can't throw anything away that might be usable to someone else, so I put it in a "free" box at a rummage sale, and no one took it!! That's unlovable.
I love working with bargello designs and love purple, and the colors are a lot harder to coordinate than one might think. Yours are beautiful, and if you like it, who cares what anyone else thinks, it isn't being made for them.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 PM

I have made a few quilts that were lots of fun to make but nothing many people would get excited over. One of my friends made a quilt that was rather bizarre but it was her so we loved it. Since my quilting is a hobby I care more for fun than beauty.
I do love your quilt - you color choices are fantastic. Some day I hope to make one.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:52 AM

Default Purple quilt

I love your Purple UFO! Waiting for the purple people eater, LOL! The monochromatic purple is calming and rich and my nursy nursy would adore it. I would buy it! Great job!!!!

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I just started making a quilt that I am pretty sure only I could love, much less like. Have any of you ever done that? I have shown my progress to a few quilters and gotten very lukewarm responses, like "Isn't that interesting..."

It doesn't bother me. I am enjoying making this quilt and I think I will love it. The pattern is Nebula by Eileen Wright. It is a Bargello. Mine will be 20 shades of purple, and I think it is going to end up looking like a really weird purple UFO (as in alien spacecraft not un-finished project) in an alien purple sky.

So far I have the middle section roughly pinned to my design wall, but here is what it looks like. I know it is weird. I love purple and have never claimed to be a traditional quilter. And the quilt is for me, so I don't need to worry about pleasing anyone.

But my question is really what I asked. Have you ever made a quilt that only you could love?

Dina
Old 11-26-2019, 04:03 AM

Have I ever made a quilt only I could love?

So far, No. No matter how I felt about a quilt, I have always been able to find someone else that loved it and was very happy to make it theirs.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:37 AM

Not that I know! I have only made one I didn’t really like after it was finished and a friend of mine loved it. She tells me she sleeps under it every night. I think my problem with it was my color choice.