Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen some one with long nails quilt??

Have you ever seen anyone with those fake long nails quilt or even sew?
    We have a LQS that the owner has those ungodly long nails & says she can quilt just fine with them. I have watched her try to pick up something small in the shop or try to seperate the fabric when it is folded & she has such a hard time.
    Was just wondering if anyone else has seen this. Don't mean to offend any of those of you who do where them, I just couldn't do nothing with my fingers. I have to feel what I am doing.
    Donna, T

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Only good thing I can think of is that she can separate layers of fabric easily. Other than that, not so much.

Yep, I have had them and they do take some time getting use to a different way of doing things. I didn't have them extra long, just long enough to annoy others.....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My nails are long...and people always ask me how I can do anything with them. Well, I have had them a long time...you learn to work with them. my left thumb nail is about 2" long, from cuticle to the tip, and I use it as a stiletto when sewing! I keep them long by keeping a solar gel coating on them. My left thumb nail has a quilt block with a star painted on it right now! On average my other nails stay at about 3/4" long from cuticle to tip!I also keep them rounded and more natural than most people with fake nails!

Blog Entries
    What is a Solar Jell? Best I've found so far is a Walmart bottle
    labeled HOOF. Makes nails longer and stronger. If there's a better one I'd like to know of it.

Thank you for mentioning this. And I'd really like to know where you get it?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I keep my nails long, real nails not fake. I forget they are even there because I am so used to them. when 1 breaks off it drives me carzy because the tips of my finger will hurts from not being used to touching things.

Blog Entries
    I have fake nails. I wouldn't say they are really long? They are about half an inch from tip to cuticle. But I get lots of stuff done.....IDK? It is probably just a matter of adapting.

Where do you get the solar gel coating? My nails are so soft and fragile that when I had fake nails for a while, mine turned to mush after a few months and the fake one would not even stay on!!! I have to say I did adapt to them, and loved them while they lasted! I was in the Army at the time and couldn't get fancy with the polish though :(

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I used my nails to quilt with. My middle finger nail on my right hand is used to push the needle during handquilting. They aren't real long but they are acrylic with gel on top. I don't use a thimble at all!

i have to keep mine short as I teach small kids swimming and so easy to scratch them when working with them. Also, I care for my 94 year old mom and have to be careful when changing her depends and clothes etc not to scratch her b/c of her thinner skin. Short nails does make it hard to pick up pins tho.

lol, ungodly?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have my solar gel put on at a shop...this also makes my nail thicker, so I can not scratch anything...no really even when I want to scratch, I can't...hate it....

for thin nails, you need to up your biotin intake, about 3,000 units a day...and add some B complex in there as well!

Then you can always soak then in white vinegar each night for 30 minutes!

Pardon my asking, but what does white vinegar do for nails??

I used to have natural, long, and healthy nails when I was younger. But now that I'm older they crack, chip, split and have ridges. Never thought I'd see this day. Wish I knew how to make them healthy again.

Blog Entries
    I have had the fake ones and my natural ones longer - I don't think of them as REALLY long - but some might- you just get use to using your fingers different AND I use the underside of the nail to push the needle back up when quilting :wink:

Back in the 70's & 80's when I worked in a garmet factory I used those long fake nails. They came in very handy with sewing. Right now my natural nails are very long &, as another said, I use them as a stiletto. You get used to long nails, just like you get used to anything else.

White vinegar?I am curious....

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    My left thumb nail has a quilt block with a star painted on it right now!
    Nooooooooooooo!
    I'm amazed.
    Photo, photo, photo.

My nails are fairly long ... between 3/4" and 1" long total. I don't let them get any longer than that because they get in my way, but they're actually handy at the length they are. DH calls them my "shovels" because they're great for scooping up little things like beads! :lol:

It really throws me off when one breaks, though. I'm so used to them, that it feels like part of my finger is gone! :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I keep my nails long, real nails not fake. I forget they are even there because I am so used to them. when 1 breaks off it drives me carzy because the tips of my finger will hurts from not being used to touching things.
    My mother used to say I screamed so loud when I broke a nail that you would think I was dying. I can't get them to grow very long any more, but I still hate that feeling when a fingertip is suddenly exposed!

I keep mine polish free and short.

I keep my real nails fairly long....... better to sew thru one of those than my finger!! lol

Blog Entries
    one of those things you just get used to when you start wearing them...i don't anymore, 15 years ago did though, yes picking up things sometimes were difficult...really had a hard time with pants zippers :thumbdown: but, never had any problems sewing...i guess because i use my fingers, not my nails to sew. i never had really long ones like some i see...mine were never longer than 1/4" above top of finger, but they were still a hinderance at times. i only (went thru that phase) for about 6 months, started as a gift from my daughter...but after awhile i just stopped dealing with them...

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    I keep mine polish free and short.
    Me too. The color God gave them and a modest length.

Nothing against anyone that has them long and/or painted, it's a personal choice. I have a friend that has really long real nails and her's are hard as can be. She rarely breaks one. When we worked together in a warehouse I've seen her skin rip but the nail remain intact--that's how hard they are. She does everything with the sides of her fingers rather than the tips.

Yes, why white vinegar -

I have med length nails and I love them.....I let them grow longer a few times and they would bother me....so I keep them the same length all the time....I don't have any problems with sewing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast