Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have you ever.... >
  • Have you ever....

• Have you ever....

Old 05-31-2019, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    I used a double needle and left one not threaded to do stitch in the ditch quilting or get precise top stitching.
    Interesting idea. Does the empty needle go in the seam or the threaded needle? I know that probably sounds like a dumb question.
    Old 05-31-2019, 07:25 AM

There was an episode on Sewing With Nancy or Simply Quilts many years ago. I cannot remember who the guest was, but she used a double needle with free motion quilting. She was quilting a landscape quilt and showing how the double needle filled in the area so fast (and well). Wish I could remember who the guest was and remember (for sure) what show this was. It could probably be searched for in youtube or googled by now. :-)
    Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by janjanq
    Interesting idea. Does the empty needle go in the seam or the threaded needle? I know that probably sounds like a dumb question.

Not dumb....I was wondering this also.
    Old 05-31-2019, 08:18 AM
    Power Poster

I put the empty needle in the seam for QITD and on the edge of the area where I do topstitching. I took a class long ago and we did many techniques using the twin needles in different width. We used the bottom stitches as the top stitches to fill in a block around applique. It was fun to experiment with the needles.
    Old 05-31-2019, 04:11 PM

The issue with FMQ using twin needles would be the relationship of the needles changes as your fabric moves from side to side.The distance between the thread paths on the fabric will be the width of the needles going front to back or back to front. It will decrease to zero as you go side to side.One thread will cover over the the other. Hence the little area between the needle paths will constantly change as you are FMQing. But then, maybe that is what you want? tim
    Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Interesting. If you try it let us all know how it goes and post a picture. Would love to find out.
    Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 AM
    mim

Thanks for jolting my memory -- Whn I bought my machine back in 2000 for the amazing (for back then) price of $2000, I bought a twin needle but never used it. I have in mind the art deco table runner and the thin strips would be just right for a twin needle. I will try it when we get back to our winter home in WA