Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever used a quilt as a tablecloth? >

Have you ever used a quilt as a tablecloth?

Have you ever used a quilt as a tablecloth?

Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM

I'm curious, and please don't take this as criticism, but why do so many of you put plastic on top of quilts when you use them on a table? They are just as washable as tablecloths and people are no sloppier when the table has a quilt on it than when it's covered with a tablecloth, maybe even less sloppy.

I can understand not wanting to use them as a picnic blanket out in the dirt (though grass is probably fine), but it seems like plastic on a table setting is kind of, um, off-putting to the diners. Why do you treat dining table quilts differently than tablecloths?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:10 AM

I always top my dining room table with a quilt. Now I've started making wall hangings for the dining room to match. I just like the look, plus I really like to use my quilts.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I'm curious, and please don't take this as criticism, but why do so many of you put plastic on top of quilts when you use them on a table? They are just as washable as tablecloths and people are no sloppier when the table has a quilt on it than when it's covered with a tablecloth, maybe even less sloppy.

I can understand not wanting to use them as a picnic blanket out in the dirt (though grass is probably fine), but it seems like plastic on a table setting is kind of, um, off-putting to the diners. Why do you treat dining table quilts differently than tablecloths?
I agree. I hand piece and hand quilt mine and throw them in the wash. It is okay to use the quilts and wash them. Mine wash up great and I get lots of compliments on them. I'm for using this stuff we make unless it is a wall hanging or an artsy thing.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Mercy me, many times. Not many things are more fun than to serve a summer meal of fried chicken, veggies out of your garden (including fresh tomatoes and sweet corn on the cob) and using pint canning jars for drinks. City folks used to love it.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM

I hav made a pieced tablecloth of my floral fabric stash. Using three-inch squares to make 16-patch blocks, I made enough to cove4r the table with swome ovrhang. I didn't us e battiong,but sewed the backing on puillowcase-styland turned it right-side out. For quilting, stitching in the ditch was enough It sure draws attention!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Sounds like some good ideas.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes. Table clothes, table squares, table runners and place mats!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM

Yes. Table clothes, table squares, table runners and place mats!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Yes.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:04 AM

My tablecloths have been spotted with butter, olive oil, and red wine. Although most of the spots come out, there are greasy looking spots that sometimes remain. I don't want such an accident ruin a quilt I've spent hours creating, so the plastic covering allows us to enjoy the quilt without fear of staining it. It may be a put off for company, but they've been too polite to say.

Maybe someone has some tips for removing oily stains and red wine without ruining or discoloring the fabric?
Peggles