Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you made Double Wedding Ring patterns?

I have the templates from Marti Michele, and am going to start a double wedding ring top as soon as I finish another quilt. I have looked at the tutorial on here, and it looks easy to follow. It may actually be the way I go. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Yes I have made 2 and gave both away ,need to make myself one now

I actually am in the process of finishing one project and then the next one will be the Double Wedding Ring...which is going on my bed...I bought a kit from Joanns it has the patterns and directions..the patterns are made as a heavy cut out not paper....it was $33.00 but with the 40% off coupon I couldn't pass it up......

I have made several DWR's for wedding gifts. I don't have one for myself yet though. I used the John Flynn strip piecing method. You don't have to sew all those bias edges together for the arcs, you do have to take a little dart in each piece though. It is very accurate for me!

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I made several wall hangings and a tablerunner double wedding ring using the Quiltsmart fusible interfacing. That's the ONLY way I would make one. It's fast and very easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow that's beautiful.....

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Have you made Double Wedding Ring patterns?

I was wondering who has made this pattern. Thanks everyone for all of your comments.
    I'm working on one right now, just started cutting the pieces. Was told to do one complete block before cutting the rest, so guess that is what I will do, its raining today so good day to quilt

Quote Originally Posted by georgiat
    I have made several DWR's for wedding gifts. I don't have one for myself yet though. I used the John Flynn strip piecing method. You don't have to sew all those bias edges together for the arcs, you do have to take a little dart in each piece though. It is very accurate for me!

Quote Originally Posted by georgiat
    I am making one with his templates now but I don't think its easy. Very time consuming. I'm not sure I'll use his system again although it's going together pretty well. I may change my mind after I complete it.

Yes...My daughter and I purchased material in Sturbridge, MA in 1991 (after many moves, etc.) I just finished and mailed it to her last Sept. She doesn't use it now 'cause her taste in colors have changed...so it'll probably end up in her MILs 100 yr. old rebuilt farm house on Martha's Vineyard. Such is life, huh:-) Still need to learn to attach pix :oops: :oops:
    I'll keep trying!

I've used the QuiltSmart. Very easy. No curved piecing to do, but you need to use an invisible applique stitch after fusing the arcs to the background square. The nice thing about this method is that you have to sew squares together (rather than piecing curves) and it lies very flat. Sewing is quick and painless.

I've also done arcs cut by accu-cut and sewn with the Curve Master Foot. COOL. very easy. NO pins needed. I'm working on one of those now. I find the trick to getting them to lie completely flat is being very fussy about the seam allowances, but the Curve Master Foot makes it really easy.

If you PM me I can give you details on getting the pieces cut using the accu-cut.

I am working on one in my spare time, for myself too. It just takes more time and pinning, but it is well worth it. I know mine won't be done for quite a while, as too many other things need to be done first.

sss
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy of Kansas
    I made several wall hangings and a tablerunner double wedding ring using the Quiltsmart fusible interfacing. That's the ONLY way I would make one. It's fast and very easy.
    They are beautiful!!!

sss
    Here is a website for a Double Wedding Ring quilt that Karen found for me.
    http://www.rivercityquilts.com/books...lie-larsen.cfm

I emailed asking for more instructions about how the pattern works since it is one in which you do not have curves.
    The email I received was quite helpful and I think I will purchase the pattern. Here is what they said..
    "Thank you for your inquiry! It comes with a folder containing the tool and complete instructions for three different sizes of the quilt, from lap size to queen. Strips of fabric are pieced together, cut using the template included and sewn together following good illustrations. The folder says "Chains of Love is a quilt with a Double Wedding Ring effect without curved or set-in sections." I hope this info helps."

Check the pattern out and see what you think. Would love other's opinions. sss

Blog Entries
    I have made 2, both queen size. I got along better than expected on the curves. Most of mine were the ends of the curves. Was lucky enough to have the acrylic templates which I acquired at a quilt shop in Kalona. Was thinking of starting another----some day---for me. The others were anniversary quilts for family. It's one way to use up a lot of scraps but does take quite a bit of time.

Here's my purple one :) the second one is one i just finished both double wedding rings :)

Lovely. The one I am doing is in browns. Hopefully in a year or two, I will have it finished. Grand kids quilts come first.

Years ago I made a lap sized one. I used Mary Ellen Hopkins book and templates. Did it all on the machine, and it all just fell into place - and it was my first attempt at machine 'piecing'. Even the 'corner stones' were easy. The secret to doing them was to attach the arcs to the melons. When you had all them stitched together and just had the holes for the 'corner stones' left to do, you make a four patch, stitch that to one side, then the opposite side, then do the other 2 sides the same (i.e. N&S, then E&W). Repeat for the remaining ones. Fiddly, but I didn't need to unpick one stitch in the whole top.

I'm now looking for the fabric to make one for my bed.

Take a look at patterns by Judy Neimeyer and see some of her wonderful quilt patterns. And best of all they are all paper pieced.. Her double wedding ring quilt is a show stopper.

have not done this yet but made a solemn promise ...from me to me!!!

I made one using the omnigrid templates and book. It was not hard but very time consuming. My sister came for the week and we got the top all pieced, as well as a day trip to Lancaster. I had already done all the cutting and sewn most of the arcs before she came. I will try to find a picture to attach later.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Wedding.../dp/B000YZAO6Q

matching pillowshams from extra rings
    Name:  Attachment-77856.jpe
Views: 81
Size:  66.0 KB

purple and blue batiks for the rings
    Name:  Attachment-77946.jpe
Views: 85
Size:  53.0 KB

I have been working on one for the better part of a year now ( I only started as a quilter about 14 months ago ). I have an EQ6 drawing of what it will look like when done but for the life of me I can't seem to get that picture on this forum so you can see it.

Blog Entries
    wow, I still want to make one! I bought a table runner for my kitchen table made by the amish with that pattern. All piecied by hand and quilted by hand

I am making one now using the Marti Michell acrylic templates. I started this project in 2004 and worked on it off and on. Completed lots of other projects in the meantime. Now I'm determined to finish it. It does take a lot of cutting and a lot of pinning when sewing the curves. It's queen size, scrappy batiks on a black background. I'm thinking about using black batting. And it will be for us (for a change).

:shock: I adore what you put in the centers! Applique or embroiderery? Yours puts my daughter's to shame! Impressive!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast