Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you tried to make your own color catchers? >

Have you tried to make your own color catchers?

Have you tried to make your own color catchers?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Here's the one I came across: http://www.ehow.com/how_10034977_mak...r-catcher.html

I asked because I don't like to use chemicals and this is a natural method. Just wanted to know if they work before I spent money to make them. The real money is just buying the stabilizer. The rest you already have on hand and the draw to me is like I've already said, it's a natural method.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Since they are under $4 for a box of 24, I'd rather buy them.
DITTO.........and we know that these work. Open box, flip one in and feel safe
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM

They are cheap enough to buy. While I love a good DIY I think I'll stick to the store bought ones
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Too much work. These are cheap enough in stores to buy by the box. One negative I see with this is it says to wash using cold water and makes no mention of warm or hot water. If anything is going to bleed it will be when clothes are washed in warm or hot water.

I always wash my materials in at least warm water.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM

Years ago in some newspaper column, I read that you can use a white cotton terry hand towel to catch the loose color. I have had my pair of towels for several years now and they show the accumulation of color. I have not had issues with bleeding and use them with all my loads. They are showing their age and I think I will invest in a new pair of towels. I don't use anything with chemical/smell potential in with my wash.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM

I think I will stick to buying them
Old 05-30-2012, 11:07 AM

I don't think I will try this. I have tried to do alot of the things myself, and realize at the ripe old age of 65 (yikes) that I have to use my time more wisely. I have an open bottle of vodka that I used to make my own spray starch - did not like the results and would rather drink the vodka. I have started to save nips, bits, crumbs and selvages - and will end up putting this up on the giveaway part of the site. I have shopped thrift stores and yard sales for fabric and have filled up my closets. I now try to buy good fabric. The one thing I cannot stop myself from doing is buying fabric because I love the fabric, not buying for a specific project. That is a vice that I cannot live without. Just wrap me in all my fabic before you lay me down in the earth, cheaper than a coffin!! (maybe not)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM

I would wonder to what extent colour catchers are really necessary... this is probably because I live in a country where they are not available and I have never felt any need to use them. When I think new clothes or fabric may bleed, I simply wash them separately, with vinegar in the rinse until the colours are stabilized. I mean too, that if we stick to good old clothes sorting by colour groups, and use warm water, colour catchers are superfluous.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I don't think I will try this. I have tried to do alot of the things myself, and realize at the ripe old age of 65 (yikes) that I have to use my time more wisely. I have an open bottle of vodka that I used to make my own spray starch - did not like the results and would rather drink the vodka. I have started to save nips, bits, crumbs and selvages - and will end up putting this up on the giveaway part of the site. I have shopped thrift stores and yard sales for fabric and have filled up my closets. I now try to buy good fabric. The one thing I cannot stop myself from doing is buying fabric because I love the fabric, not buying for a specific project. That is a vice that I cannot live without. Just wrap me in all my fabic before you lay me down in the earth, cheaper than a coffin!! (maybe not)
I just want to say a resounding ditto about loving fabrics...and not just for a particular project...
Kif
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by NCannie View Post
I found instructions on how to make your own color catchers using non-woven stabilizer, salt and hot water. Has anyone tried doing this or any other method to make your own color catchers. Do they work as well as store bought ones?
I have not tried this, but will be interested to hear how it works. Please post after you have tried this and let us know how it turns out.