Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you used muslin in your quilts?

Blog Entries

Have you used muslin in your quilts?

I am considering using bleached muslim as a background for my next quilts. I do not quite understand what the difference is between a bleached muslin and a white cotton. Can you help me with this question. I also have seen muslin now comes in color's. I guess my question is what exactly is muslin. I always thought it was fabric that is not printed on, but now I am a bit confused. Does muslin work as a nice background or a nice backing?
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 06-03-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    There are different quality muslins on the market. Some are almost see-through so those are to be avoided. Others are a solid, tight weave and work well for backgrounds. There is a great selection of colors available too.

Missouri Star Quilt Co sells Bella Solids which (I believe) are from Moda. There is also the Kauffman Kona Cotton line. I like both.

Good question. I don't know the difference but I have used good quality musliN (musliM is a religion) in a couple of quilts with good results. I have also used Kona cotton which MadQuilter seems to indicate is also a muslin. I didn't know that. Always learning something here.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    My avatar has good quality muslin in it along with Ricky Tims hand dyes which by the way is muslin.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I used muslin for the background of one of my table runners. It was a tight weave and it worked out fine. I didn't realize that it came in colors. This may sound dumb but is the colored muslin still called muslin or does it go by another name? BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

I'm using muslin for a cathedral window quilt right now. The muslin was a lot cheaper than regular fabric and I had to get a lot .... 20 yards was what I was told. So I decided to buy a bolt of muslin but after shopping around I found that there are a lot of different qualities of muslin out there being sold. The box stores were cheap but poor quality so I ordered it from my LQS..... and I love it.... nice quality and I will have some for other projects. The LQS owner told me that there may be some flecks of cotton seed, etc in muslin that you won't get from regular fabric because it is less processed. That didn't bother me because I wanted the more country look. So look around to find exactly what you want.

Blog Entries
    I use it often with no problem. I didn't know it came in colors. Will look for it.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

A good quality muslin is a joy to work with..after it is washed it is as soft as marshmallow( my opinion) and I use it on the backs of all my quilting projects....I only know of bleached, unbleached, natural colors...will have to keep eyes open for "colors"

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    My dearly departed sister made blocks using muslin and I acquired it and finished it. I loved the muslin look. I bought muslin for the back and think it turned out beautifully. She appliqued stars to the muslin and satin stitched around each one. I gave it to my daughter. I can't remember how many stars there were, but there were a ton of them. It really looked old fashioned with the muslin and I loved the look. Now I'm wanting to use muslin more and more for the old fashioned look.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    muslin make wonderful quilts- many people I know always back their quilts with muslin, either bleached or natural- it washes up nicely becomes softer & softer with wear & laundering and is a wonderful inexpensive utility cotton fabric. their are many different *grades* of muslin, some are quite thin, loose weaves - which do tighten up some when pre-washed- and make good foundations for foundation/paper piecing- some are much heavier- some almost as heavy as any broadcloth. muslin has been used in quilting since the 1700's (maybe even earlier) the difference between a bleached muslin and a solid white fabric is---muslin is a natural cotton fiber that is a tan-creamy color- it is bleached to make it white- white solid fabric is made with white threads woven together. muslin also dyes beautifully- you can purchase it generally for a lot less than other solid fabrics then dye it any color you want it to be if you want to.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Kona cotton and Bella solids are not muslins.

I love working with a good quality muslin. I use it alot, there is nothing any softer after its washed. Just has a wonderful feel to it.

Blog Entries
    What muslin is a good quality and inexpensive? It sounds like this can be a good product to use if the right muslin is used.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    A good quality muslin is a joy to work with..after it is washed it is as soft as marshmallow( my opinion) and I use it on the backs of all my quilting projects....I only know of bleached, unbleached, natural colors...will have to keep eyes open for "colors"
    I just had a picture in my head of trying to quilt a marshmallow.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I used unbleached muslin to back the quilt on my bed. See my avatar.

I love to work with Muslin...It gives a great country look to my scrappy quilts..If the price is good on the cheap thin muslin, I use it as a base for my string quilts..going to begin soon on a Lone star for my DD, using civil war fabrics, and tea stained muslin as the background

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    What muslin is a good quality and inexpensive? It sounds like this can be a good product to use if the right muslin is used.
    Don't know what price point you mean by inexpensive. Name brand muslins like Kona and Moda are good quality along with Southern Belle. If there's a JoAnn's near you, they usually stock a range. Look for one that's tightly woven, but not stiff. Get a half yard, wash & dry and see what you think.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I have a few yards of what I think is good quality, unbleached muslin, but I am afraid it will shrink. Does it?
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I use muslin all the time, both bleached and unbleached. I am particularly partial to tea stained, but sometimes have trouble finding it. I am not fussy about cost - I buy whatever is on sale. I have a quilt that I made in 2001 that I use on my bed all winter. Since I have three cats, it gets washed frequently. The quilt is still alive and well. The muslin has held up great; with only the bindings really showing the wear. I do not prewash any of my fabric; I like the "old" look that the shrinking creates.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Try the Legacy muslin from Joann's. it is so soft and silky smooth, not thready at all. I pre wash and it washes beautifully, not much shrinkage. Price is excellent, even before coupon. 45 wide 6.99. 90 wide 9.99 108 ? Wide 11.99 or thereabouts. I think it makes great backing as you can see the quilting well. Try it when you have an extra coupon, I don't think you will be disappointed!

I have used good quality muslin in many quilts & love it. I use it for back ground & backing. It is cheaper for backing and is great for civil war quilts & others.

I tend to do scrappy quilts, and use musin in most for the creams or whites

I use muslin from JoAnn's as the foundation for all of my string quilts. It's held up well through the years. Some I've kept in its natural colour and some I've tea-died.
    Name:  Strip Quilt - Pastels.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  90.4 KB
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I use muslin for everything. For years, my Christmas present from my Dad was a bolt of high quality, bleached muslin.

Shhhhh! My pleated living room draperies are muslin. Don't tell anybody. I've been washing, ironing, and rehanging them for maybe going on 20 years.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Nah. They scream when you stick the pins in. Muslin is good though.
    every cloud has a silver lining but sometimes it is hard to get to the mint

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast