Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have You Worked With the new Moda Simply Color Ombre (see goregous log cabin) >

Have You Worked With the new Moda Simply Color Ombre (see goregous log cabin)

Have You Worked With the new Moda Simply Color Ombre (see goregous log cabin)

Old 01-05-2013, 09:02 AM

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...ortby=ourPicks#
Nancy has Ombre fabric in the yellow to red, if you really like the colors, you will have to look around. A lot of places do not sell Ombre as I have been looking.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM

This might be a good time to jump in with a realization I had on Pinterest the other night (now that I'm on there, I have even less time to sew!) - anyway, as quilters you know an idea from here, and an idea from there, somehow congeal into an idea for a quilt. And maybe some of you struggle with color blending like I do.....

Two posts on Pinterest using paint chip strips = understanding that I could take the free paint chip strips for color families I like to the paint store and get my light to dark fabrics in the same family. That would also help you achieve the ombre effect.......

Since you like the ombre effect with the log cabin and rail fence, check out Eleanot Burns Orion's Star book - the block is based on a log cabin but with so many layout options, you might find one you like.

I'm including a picture of a quilt I made using that pattern - using various red and black/white prints (school colors) and you're right - it's hard to figure out what to use. So if you see a nutty lady in the fabric store with paint chip strips, it's probably me.
Attached Thumbnails blackandwhiteandredallover-sobocobaseballfundraiserquilt.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM

flybreit, wow! I really, really like your quilt.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM

Thank you for the site I really love the fabric gratuation rail fence quilt they show. I also looked at the rainbow log cabin I love it also would like the pattern for that one. Have fun yippie
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Look at this for your grey ombres, and it even has the sheen.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...urPicks&page=3
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

WOW...They are all very pretty...thanks for the link....
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM

I understand about cutting LOF to get the strips of color shading for a log cabin or rail fence, but I have used ombre WOF...it adds a lot of movement and interest in some patterns.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 PM

the log cabin will be easy to do if you strip piece it. the quilt-in-a-day book by eleanor burns is an easy step-by-step instruction booklet and is not expensive. ck. ebay or amazon. you cut all the strips 2 1/2," then sew 2 strips together--one will be your center square of each block, the other your 1st lt. or 1st dk., if you are doing lt and dark contrast. then you use your ruler to cut the strip into 2 1/2" segments. then just go from there....sorry about no caps. i broke a bone in my hand in an auto accident & get the cast off mon. yayyyy!! i have learned to use the mouse with my left hand. please show us what you decide to make. thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 PM

so you have 9 yrds of fabric & want to make a quilt with them, not buy more fabric or fabric swatches, right?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by KathyPhillips View Post
so you have 9 yrds of fabric & want to make a quilt with them, not buy more fabric or fabric swatches, right?
see post above... Kathy,somehow from this link a couple of days ago I landed on your video with Kaye Woods and bought your book. Can't wait to get started with the wedding rings.