Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having break issues with thread? >

Having break issues with thread?

Having break issues with thread?

Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 AM

Default Having break issues with thread?

So I told you all I was going to buy different hand quilting treads and let you know what I thought well back around in May I bought some aurifil thread 28 wt to hand quilt with. I loved the small one that I had used on my first quilt but ran out too quick so I bought a bigger spool this time. The bigger spool was until one night I was hand quilting a long and the tread broke, HUH, okay so then I tired again. Nothing then the next week same thing. It was like there was a soft spot in the tread. I don't know, can anyone explain why I'm having break issues? Its really messing me up because I payed $11.50. For that much it shouldn't break.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Is it the same wt as the one you used before? Sometimes the needle has a unseen cut or burr that will cut the thread while hand sewing. If it isn't the needle I would return it for a new spool.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM

My thought is to change needles too.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:07 PM

I'm with Onebyone & Jeanne try changing your needle. Also is the thread fraying before it breaks or is it just a clean break when pulling on the thread? If it's fraying then definately change your needle, if the thread is just breaking try cutting off a few inches then try quilting again.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:10 PM

Yes it is the same WT as I used before.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Is it the same wt as the one you used before? Sometimes the needle has a unseen cut or burr that will cut the thread while hand sewing. If it isn't the needle I would return it for a new spool.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:13 PM

The thread is fraying before it breaks when I pull on the thread, I just bought some new needles and I haven't had any break yet. I just thought it was odd because I have never had this happen before so I was blaming the thread I didn't think it might be the needle. I just bought some new ones so far it hasn't broke with the new needle.

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I'm with Onebyone & Jeanne try changing your needle. Also is the thread fraying before it breaks or is it just a clean break when pulling on the thread? If it's fraying then definately change your needle, if the thread is just breaking try cutting off a few inches then try quilting again.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:09 AM

great info! thanks to all
Old 06-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

As you are handquilting it helps to move the position of the thread every few stitches where it goes through the eye of the needle. If you don't slide your needle down every so often and move where the thread is in the eye, the thread will eventually fray and break just as you describe.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:35 AM

I had sort of the same thing happen to me. I finally bought some Aurifil thread and was so excited to use it. I put it in my machine and went to town. For about 3 seconds. I thought HUH. That's weird so I rethreaded and same thing again. I was so upset. I really thought OH GOSH this thread is expensive and AWFUL. Then someone told me to change my needle to a bigger size. Well duh! I didn't even think of that. I was using the 40wt thread and the needle eye was too small so it was shredding. I changed to bigger needle and its been awesome since. Its funny how sometimes we miss the obvious isn't it? Sometimes we just need a different perspective. LOL.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
As you are handquilting it helps to move the position of the thread every few stitches where it goes through the eye of the needle. If you don't slide your needle down every so often and move where the thread is in the eye, the thread will eventually fray and break just as you describe.
Great suggestion, that's something I normally do too. Its so automatic that I didn't even think to mention it.