Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Having a problem with my backing...help!

Having a problem with my backing...help!

I'm having a problem with my backings and am looking for any suggestions anyone might have. Most of the time I piece my backs. I usually have extra blocks or focus fabric left over from the front and think it helps to add visual interest to the backs (plus I'm very thrifty). I am having difficulty lining up the sandwich evenly so that the back is in line with the front. Most of the time, my back is stilted to one side or uneven at the top/bottom. Anyone have any suggestions? I do spray baste my quilts. Thanks in advance.

Put registration marks. Either baste a few stitches, mark with pencil or safety pin.
    Fold your backing in quarters and mark each fold North, South, East and West.
    Do the same for the top and batting and everything should just line up.

Blog Entries
    You tape down the backing which is big then spray the batting on which is slightly smaller than backing. Now put on the top which means if you put very visible signs on the centre of the backing which is sticking out from the batting you should manage begin in the middle and outwards. You could put a mark in the centre of batting.
    Be careful that you dont have too many seams laying together as it does affect your quilting flow. It is a big bump.

Good luck. Don't forget if spray basting is wrong you can also peel apart and try again.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'm just happy if I don't have any major folds in my backing!!

Blog Entries
    I agree with taping it down, mark your backing if needed to line them up. I make sure the border is wide - love making revisible quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Put registration marks. Either baste a few stitches, mark with pencil or safety pin.
    Fold your backing in quarters and mark each fold North, South, East and West.
    Do the same for the top and batting and everything should just line up.
    Never thought of using registration marks to get the backing lined up with the quilt top. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I ended up marking with chalk the middle of the 4 sides (top and batting). Then matched the markings. And it worked very well and the markings were easy to remove! I knew the answer was out there so THANKS!

For larger quilts I don't have an area large enough to lay it all out at once, so I mark the middles of each piece, starting from there, I try to line it up with that hoping that the N, E, S, and W markings meet. Sometimes I succeed and sometimes it's off a little.
    One step at a time, always forward.