Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having trouble with matching multitude of colours >

Having trouble with matching multitude of colours

Having trouble with matching multitude of colours

Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 AM

Thanks again for all your suggestions. They are terrific. Martina, I actually have been doing that--lining them up and then leaving for a while and when I walk back into the room I see what doesn't fit. I have a feeling it will all come together and be wild with colour like it's intended to be.

I'm going to see about a flannel backed tablecloth for the wall. Great idea, too and thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM

I just read somewhere that we're all so used to blending colors, matching them up, but as quilters we need to learn to contrast colors. So one answer seems to be, if two pieces of fabric are the same color, move them apart.

Then there is what I call "color progression," by which I mean the gradual change from one color to another. Some quilt have pieces ordered so that dark blues are next to light blues, which are next to greens, which are next to yellows... I think those are so beautiful.

Then there's the idea of balance, where you may want to spread a color out over different sections to balance the brightness or the hue.

Martina's practice of auditioning fabrics is one I learned in my beginner's quilting class. To me this seemed really obvious. But all I was doign was laying them out the way I thought I wanted. My class taught to try other ways as well, even if you're fairly sure about what you want, just to see if something else looks better.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM

I really love the "more the merrier" advice. I just love his fabrics and I think they all play together nicely. I can't wait to see your quilt! Please post pictures. It's going to be a stunner!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Power Poster

If you like the way they look together use them. I can't wait to see your quilt.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 AM

I have found that leaving them overnight is a good thing. It seems like that next day I can walk in and what I do not like sticks out like a sore thumb. I make the changes and am on my way.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by calico
Thanks again for all your suggestions. They are terrific. Martina, I actually have been doing that--lining them up and then leaving for a while and when I walk back into the room I see what doesn't fit. I have a feeling it will all come together and be wild with colour like it's intended to be.

I'm going to see about a flannel backed tablecloth for the wall. Great idea, too and thanks.
I'm really glad I found this forum about colors. My son wants me to make him a quilt in Virginia Tech colors, where he went to school. They are orange and maroon. And he wants it to be mainly just those colors, but I do plan to use some black. The pattern he wants me to make calls for 48 different fabrics. It's not easy to find maroon and orange in that many fabrics, much less ones that are not feminine. I've been buying for the past several months, and have been placing them folded in rows. I need to try the leaving and coming back though, and a design wall too. Good advice from everyone. Thanks.