Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Having trouble with titanium needles on longarm >

Having trouble with titanium needles on longarm

Having trouble with titanium needles on longarm

Old 08-15-2016, 09:16 PM

Default Having trouble with titanium needles on longarm

I know that everyone says the titanium needles are so much stronger, but I find that when I use them on the long arm that they are thicker than regular needles and with a thicker thread (like King Tut, so using a #18 needle) the thread and needle going through the opening to pick up bobbin thread seems to slight rub against the opening. Does anyone else see much difference when using titanium?

I also find that when they do break (hit a ruler, etc)that they seem to really shatter.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:06 AM

I had trouble with them on my old HQ16. The top thread kept breaking. Sometimes it is just better to stick with what has always worked. I don't change the needle nearly as much as is recommended. And the quilting looks just fine.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
I had trouble with them on my old HQ16. The top thread kept breaking. Sometimes it is just better to stick with what has always worked. I don't change the needle nearly as much as is recommended. And the quilting looks just fine.
I completely agree!
I belong to a longarm group, and those some of them say to change the needle with every new quilt.
WHHHAAATTT?!?!?!?

I found what works for my machine (Gros Beckett, 18's and 21's, depending) and stocked up on several packets when I found them on sale.

If I start getting skipped stitches, or other tension-looking issues that aren't really tension, that's when I change the needle.
I figure I'll get some flak for saying that, but it works for me, and I've been longarming for about 6 years now.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:34 AM

I do not have any trouble with them on my Proto Stitch Wizard. I can quilt several quilts before I have to change needles. What size needle are you using? That might be the problem rather than the needle itself. I use size 16 or 18 for most all quilts. I only use a larger needle for t-shirt quilts.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

I'm with the others. I use what works. The needle gets changed when it breaks or when I'm trying to diagnose a stitch problem. The only thing I'm a fanatic about is cleaning and oiling the machine with almost every bobbin change. Since it only needs oil in one spot, that part is easy.

I am using Groz Beckert titanium coated needles, but I don't use heavy threads, so I haven't had the problem you're describing. I prefer poly threads to cotton. I did break a needle a couple of days ago when doing machine maintenance, and it didn't shatter, just broke. Perhaps other brands of titanium needles behave differently. Have you checked to be sure that your machine is aligned so that the needle is coming down in the very center of the needle hole?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I'm with the others. I use what works. The needle gets changed when it breaks or when I'm trying to diagnose a stitch problem. The only thing I'm a fanatic about is cleaning and oiling the machine with almost every bobbin change. Since it only needs oil in one spot, that part is easy.

I am using Groz Beckert titanium coated needles, but I don't use heavy threads, so I haven't had the problem you're describing. I prefer poly threads to cotton. I did break a needle a couple of days ago when doing machine maintenance, and it didn't shatter, just broke. Perhaps other brands of titanium needles behave differently. Have you checked to be sure that your machine is aligned so that the needle is coming down in the very center of the needle hole?
Dunster--I'm using Groz Beckert, the titanium are #18 (with King Tut) and the #16's are just regular. With the regular it looks like the needle is aligning just fine, with the #18 Titanium's it looks like the needle is a little closer to the front of the hole. I'm having trouble figuring out how to change that alignment on my Gammill--any suggestions? Normally I like using SoFine and a #16 so it's not always a problem. Stitches look fine with both.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:45 PM

My friend and I both have HQ's and we had so much trouble with titanium needles. Lynn Blevins from HQ told us to NEVER, NEVER use titanium needles on our machines and even called their headquarters and advised the techs of it.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyRse1 View Post
My friend and I both have HQ's and we had so much trouble with titanium needles. Lynn Blevins from HQ told us to NEVER, NEVER use titanium needles on our machines and even called their headquarters and advised the techs of it.
thanks for the info, Gypsy--I've been avoiding them.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:11 PM

I purchased them for the first time based on positive comments on this board; used them to piece a top on my DSM and had problems w them. Had to change to a new needle after each bobbin rewind.