Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: heat press batting

heat press batting

I just purchased the new Heat Press for batting...has anyone else tried it and how do you like it???

Power Poster
    I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. Is the heat press similar? The Hobbs presses with a dry iron and is water solvable.

If it's water solvable then how does it stay with the quilt when it's washed? Does it disappear when wet? Sorry for the questions but my brain doesn't seem to be working this early in the AM.
    Kathy Osterby

Blog Entries
    I just purchased a pattern for a tote that said to use heat press batting...I didn't but don't know what the difference would have been...more stability???tote was quite flimsy when done...might be the difference??? the pattern says stiffens and shrinks when pressed with an iron???
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
    If it's water solvable then how does it stay with the quilt when it's washed? Does it disappear when wet? Sorry for the questions but my brain doesn't seem to be working this early in the AM.
    With a fusible batt, the fusible is the part that holds the sandwich together until it is quilted -- like spray basting, or thread basting that is removed. It is not meant to take the place of the quilting, but rather the basting.

Edit: Third cup of coffee gets my brain on track......most of the time, anyway.

I bought a craft size roll awhile back but haven't used it. Let us know how it turns out.

Blog Entries
    Do you meant the tape to join batting pieces? I love it. I use it for batting and to stabilize quilt pieces that have bias edges before cutting.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I use Hobbs 80/20 fusible quilt batt. Is the heat press similar? The Hobbs presses with a dry iron and is water solvable.
    I use this sometimes if I can get it on sale! However, I have to use a light steam to get it to fuse properly
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    this is all i could find. http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...r__D21128.html
    i won a roll of this and it's fine but does not last permanently. you must sew through this area to keep the batting in place in your quilt.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    If the quilt is quilted it stands to reason the pressing tape will be sewn through. I haven't found any problems with the quilts I have used it to piece batting.
    Got fabric?

yes...the tape to fuse together strips of batting....sorry...didn't make that clear...anyway...I have used it a couple of times...hoping it will hold up when the quilts are washed...just wanted to know if anyone else has used it.....

thanks for the info...I noticed that the directions only say to use an iron to fuse the strips of batting together...nothing about sewing...I have used it in 2 quilts...hoping maybe the quilting I did will keep it in place...

I have used this to attach batting pieces together and find it works very well. When you quilt the quilt, this consolidates the pieces, so there is no problem. I have also cut and used 2" strips of lightweight fusible interfacing to do the same thing and find this works well, too.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns