Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Heat press for t-shirts >

Heat press for t-shirts

Heat press for t-shirts

Old 01-07-2021, 08:56 PM

Default Heat press for t-shirts

All of a sudden everyone wants a t-shirt quilt. I really hate pressing that fusible backing onto the shirts! Does anybody use one of those heat press transfer machines for this? Seems like it would save a ton of time. Do you know if I can still use the wet pressing cloth with it?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:25 PM

i'm not sure what you mean by wet pressing cloth. but i have used a heat press for tshirts. I use parchment paper between the vinyl/tshirt and the heat pres unit. I have only used iron on vinyl that I cut using Cricut, I have not used fabric and fusible with it, but I expect it would work.....
Old 01-08-2021, 03:09 AM

I would think the design would melt. I have to be careful when ironing. Look up my tutorial. I cut the interfacing to size needed, then center over design. Then I have a guide for trimming to size!
Old 01-08-2021, 09:22 AM

I'm not sure. I need to have control over putting the fusible on each block. I am always afraid that the heat may be to much because each shirt is different. If you do try this method let us know how it works.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:24 AM

Is there a link to your tutorial?
Old 01-08-2021, 03:27 PM

A regular imprinted Tshirt uses ink.for the image/print. You can safely put a heat press on top of it. Just cover the image with a teflon sheet just to be safe that it isn't vinyl. It is ok to heat press vinyl too, you just need to cover it. The teflon sheets are cheap and you can buy them on Amazon. I just bought a couple a month or so ago, I think I got 3 large sheets for under $10. Are you using the wet pressing cloth to help adhere the fusible backing? If so, I would lay the wet pressing cloth down, tshirt on top, cover with teflon sheet and heat press away. The moisture from the cloth won't hurt anything. It will produce steam but steam is produced when I lay a screen printed shirt on it if I don't use the heat press dryer first.

I used to have an embroidery/screen printing business. I don't embroider for money now and don't have the large machines but I do still screen print often and have screen printing equipment. I use my heat press almost weekly.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:47 AM

Link to t-shirt tutorial. T-shirt quilt steps
Old 01-09-2021, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the link and tutorial, aashley333. I will be making my first t-shirt quilt as soon as I get the interfacing...found out I will have 2 more to make for graduating seniors this year too!