Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heavy Metal Cone thread holder

My DH made one for me from a wooden plate from a craft store (Hobby Lobby?) It sits on a plastic turntable, but is heavy enough it doesn't move. He got 3 plant stakes (heavy wire) with loops at the top to hold flowers/ plants upright so they won't fall over, drilled holes in the plate & glued them into the plate. Then he lined up & glued wooden thread spools, with dowels stuck into the center of them, around the outside of the plate. He used a grinder on the thread spools to get the shape he wanted. I use it for my embroidery machine and it works GREAT! Description is not very good, so here are some photos.

By the way, I love this group! Ramona
    Attached Images Attached Images

I ordered mine from a catalog. Now I see them in Joann's store all the time; I could have gotten one from there, with no shipping and handling fee, plus used a Joann's discount coupon. This is a direct "slap in the face" to my bargain hunting pride. I do use and like the spool holder, though.

Try checking at your local quilt shop. That is where I got mine.

My DH bought mine at an antique shop a few years ago when we were on vacation in Northern CA. It's made of iron and holds two large cones of thread. I love it! It's sturdy and I just love antiques. I use my plastic one when I go to classes since it's light weight.

Thank you for all the information on the cone holders.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    thanks. i've asked my hubby before if he had some metal he could add to the base but he's never done anything.
    Ha! look what i found.
    http://www.clotilde.com/detail.html?prod_id=700
    i have their catalog but didn't notice this one. mine is black plastic. I may call them and see if they can tell me more. it's not expensive. the flower looking heavy metal ones i found on Pauls' site are $40.00 and up.
    I have the heavy metal one as shown on the Clotilde site. Only, mine has the black base. I love it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2