Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern

Help! Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern

I purchased Aunt Grace Circle of Friends BOM pattern from 2010 that is no longer in circulation. I do not have the large or small Dresden plates sheets. Do you know of a resource where I can purchase Dresden plate templates that will work? Here is the link to a picture of the pattern. http://marcusfabrics.com/cms/upload/...riends_BOM.pdf

Thanks!

bj
    If you can’t find the Dresden pattern that works, maybe look for a block pattern the same size that you like and substitute it. I made a sampler quilt that had an appliquéd basket in the middle that I didn’t really like, so I substituted in a Carpenter’s Wheel block that was pieced. I really liked the way it turned out.
    If I'm too busy to quilt, something else has to go.

What a charming quilt! I love the Bloom Creek aesthetic.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Not sure now as I bought template a few years ago, at that time Joann's had them.

I agree with bj. Consider substituting the missing 'block' with something else. For the smaller Dresden blocks pieces, simply make a circle the same size as the 'flower' and applique it in place.
    Jane

I agree that I may have to substitute it. I just really like the look of the double Dresden circle.

Quote Originally Posted by bj View Post
    If you can’t find the Dresden pattern that works, maybe look for a block pattern the same size that you like and substitute it. I made a sampler quilt that had an appliquéd basket in the middle that I didn’t really like, so I substituted in a Carpenter’s Wheel block that was pieced. I really liked the way it turned out.

When I clicked on your link, a pdf file automatically landed on my desktop. Cute BOM!
    Quiltsmart has preprinted interfacing that has the dresden plate on it . Don't know if you have ever tried this method, but it makes the dresden easy to do. (They have lots of other patterns too).
    https://www.quiltsmart.com/Item/classic_dresdenplate

You can buy just the interfacing by itself also:

https://www.quiltsmart.com/Item/inte...g_dresdenplate
    Last edited by mindless; 06-19-2018 at 10:27 AM.

The center dresden plate has sixteen blades, so they are 22.5 degrees each (360 degrees is a full circle, divided by sixteen is 22.5 degrees each). You can make your own templates for the blades since you know that size. You probably know the size of the entire center block, right? So you can look at the photo and judge how long to make the blades/how large to make the center dresden plate.

Now for the outer ring: It's made of end chunks of blades which look wider than those in the center dresden plate, and we don't know the diameter of the ring. If I were you, I'd draw a paper mock up of that center dresden plate, then experiment with end chunks of wider paper blades until I got an outer ring that was pleasing. Then those paper blades are your pattern, which you can use to make a more durable template out of plastic.

another free dresden plate template set, and tutorial:
    http://www.lovepatchworkandquilting....lates-tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    The center dresden plate has sixteen blades, so they are 22.5 degrees each (360 degrees is a full circle, divided by sixteen is 22.5 degrees each). You can make your own templates for the blades since you know that size. You probably know the size of the entire center block, right? So you can look at the photo and judge how long to make the blades/how large to make the center dresden plate.

Now for the outer ring: It's made of end chunks of blades which look wider than those in the center dresden plate, and we don't know the diameter of the ring. If I were you, I'd draw a paper mock up of that center dresden plate, then experiment with end chunks of wider paper blades until I got an outer ring that was pleasing. Then those paper blades are your pattern, which you can use to make a more durable template out of plastic.
    Thanks so much! I appreciate the info and I will draw a paper mock up. The outer ring will be more challenging.

Dee Dee, if I remember correctly, there are 25 blade ends in that outer circle. 360 degrees divided by 25 is 14.4 degrees, a weird size if you ask me. If you draw radiating lines out from a circle, each at 15 degrees, you'd have 24 blades in that circle. Draw that out on a large sheet of paper, one almost as large as the size of the entire center block, then place your center paper dresden plate overtop of it, right in the middle. You can then mark the large sheet of paper with two lines (two circles) indicating where you want the outer ring to be placed. Then all you have to do is round out the ends of those 24 blade chunks and you have your pattern.

Blog Entries
    If you have part of the pattern, you can measure a piece and then compare it to the dresden plate you don't have, and with deductive reasoning and comparisons I think you can come close.

Thanks so much for such good information! It all sounds reasonable to me.

I have this BOM also and I put to the side just as I got to the Dresden plate block. I can send a copy of the templates to you if that would help.

Blog Entries
    To my eye, the outer ring of wedges are the same as those in the inner ring. They are truncated and don't line up edge-to-edge, creating the small, narrow triangle between them.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

Blog Entries
    I made that quilt in 2010 , It's beautiful I had Amish quilt it for me. But I took the class at a quilt shop .
    she had us make our Dresden plate . sorry wish I could help .. good luck

Blog Entries
    Try- Marti Michell Dresden Plate .