Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!....Backache!!! >

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 PM

:cry:
Has anyone out there some advice, maybe had the same problem before :?
I have got quite severe backache, somewhere between the shoulder blades. There are parts where the muscles seems very hard and tense. Been to a couple of great massages :D but on the long run, it'll come back again.
The other day I sat at my machine and done a little quilting and there it was again, severe again :x so I'm assuming it could come from the way I sit at my sewing machine or even maybe the computer.
Has anyone got any suggestions what to do to help this problem??? Would be very thankful for any ideas.
I love quilting and I always pray the Lord will keep my eyes fit enough, my hands and my back too, so there must be a solution!!! :thumbup:
Thanks for your replies and God bless you all!!!
Elfi
Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 PM

It could be that your table is too high or too low. There are some products that fit around the shoulders and have a weight that hangs from the back to help keep your posture in line but I don't know how well they work. You might try getting up and stretching every half hour or so. You're probably tensing up and/or sewing for too long.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM

yes, make sure you are getting up about every half an hour to hour to stretch. Sitting in the same position that long makes you ache. :)
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Oh yes, it kills the shoulders doesn't it? Holding the posure for long time, does a number on ya. I have no tips on what to do about it other than take a break, warm shower, and relax.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Get a better chair!! One that raises and lowers, an office chair works the best. Learn to turn your head every now and then too and always proper posture. Might want to check your pillow too. I had to make a pillow for myself to get it the right size and density.
Good luck sweetie, been there, had good drugs but couldn't sew while on them so I muscled thru it.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Be sure an check your chair make sure it sets up to your table so that you are not hunching over the machine an check the table height. A good chair is worth a million when it comes to sewing or sitting at your computer. Hope you get to feeling better nothing worse than a severe backache.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM

I have the same problem. I have arthritis in the upper back and I really have to watch my posture when I sew or sit at the computer. I take a break every hour for 10 minutes and lay on the floor or so some exercises to help relieve the tension. If I don't do all this I am in pain within 2 hours.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Sorry you are having problems. Could be the way you are sitting, and you may need to make some adjustments. Here is a link that may help (I have no affiliation with this group, just found it surfing).
http://www.ergonomics.com.au/pages/4...how_to_sit.htm

You might however, consider a visit to your GP...sometimes back pains are "referred" pain from another area. For instance gallstones can cause terrible back pain (ask me how I know!). Anyway, hope you feel better soon. Don't forget to hop up and do another activity every so often...sometimes it's easy to get in the zone and stay in the one position too long....guaranteed to make you seize up! Happy quilting.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM

I have the "right between the shoulder pain" also, lots of arthritis up and down the spine. I usually have to do the 2 tylenol to ever be able to sit and sew. Upsets me to no end but you have to carry on, in hopes it will not hurt today..
Old 02-14-2011, 04:59 PM

Heat and stretching can help. Make a heating pad or one of those microwave shoulder pads your best friend. Something about heat seems to unlock those knotted muscules. Also basic stretching exercises for the entire back really do help. Just be gentle with yourself and stretch only to the point that is comfortable. We've got to keep you quilting, hope you feel better!