Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Help! Bailey's Home Quilter question

  1. #1
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    So I just got the Grace Frame set up and ready to try out the quilter, which is also set up but maybe not correctly? I am getting a 'birds nest' on the back of the fabric and a cluster of threads caught in the bobbin area. I need help!

    cluster of thread caught in the bobbin area
    Name:  Attachment-108288.jpe
Views: 350
Size:  28.3 KB

    birds nest on back of fabric
    Name:  Attachment-108289.jpe
Views: 390
Size:  15.5 KB

    stitches on top of fabric
    Name:  Attachment-108290.jpe
Views: 331
Size:  17.5 KB

  2. #2
    Junior Member ree-nee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweet Home, Alabama
    Posts
    264
    Hi,
    When you start to quilt only sew one or two stitches then pull up your bobbin thread through to the top.
    You do this by raising the foot and moving the machine a little and pulling on the top thread until the bobbin thread comes through. When the bobbin thread is left under your project it tends to make a mess like this.
    You can go to you tube and type in pulling up bobbin thread and there is a demo.
    irene

  3. #3
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    make SURE you put the foot down, so many people forget with a quilting machine, and as was said, pull the bobbin thread to the top, hold it and take a few tiny stitches then cut it off, be sure to cut it off or you'll get tangled in it

  4. #4
    Senior Member pstoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Solon, Iowa
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    So I just got the Grace Frame set up and ready to try out the quilter, which is also set up but maybe not correctly? I am getting a 'birds nest' on the back of the fabric and a cluster of threads caught in the bobbin area. I need help!
    To me this is the hardest thing to remember to put the foot down. I don't know why, because you do it on the sewing machine when you piece, but it seems to be something I always forget to do on the frame. Had to put a note on the wall that says" NOW I PUT MY FOOT DOWN"

  5. #5
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Okay the foot was down. I did pull the bobbin thread up I assumed it was like my embroidery machine and needed to do that. I forgot to mention one thing in my previous post. The needle won't go down to the bobbin now.

  6. #6
    Super Member ChubbyBunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,064
    Make sure your bobbin is threaded correctly. Sometimes I put my bobbin in wrong (counter-clockwise instead of clockwise). Also check your tensions on your machine. Are your feed dogs down?

  7. #7
    Senior Member VickyS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    in hiding
    Posts
    548
    Don't forget to check your needle. It can be installed backwards and cause the same problem.

  8. #8
    Super Member trif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Hi take a deep breath and exhale...... Okay, I had this same exact problem with my bailey. Birds nests, needle jammed, me sweating and NOT enjoying my new acquaintance. So, the solution is simple, of course make sure threaded right, there are two areas on top of machine where thread goes over the levers, those have to have the little black rubber stoppers on them, next 100% cotton thread (did not like my sulky thread). Of course put foot down, now your ready Except the bailey needs to sew holding still for a good hour( no kidding,I was shocked) to warm up, lubricate, whatever so while it's on the frame keep your Bailey in place and just move the fabric. I used alot of scraps, use a real sandwich batting too. Now before I start any quilt I do a small 6x6 swatch just to warm her up. I hope this works for you. Let me know. By the way my Bailey and I are great friends now that we have gotten to know eachother :)

  9. #9
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    also there is a Bailey "support group"on yahoo.

  10. #10
    Senior Member freezeframe03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    345
    From the photo it looks like your bobbin case is not clicked all the way in. That little lever part has to fit into it's slot.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    n.w.ohio
    Posts
    170
    no one said to hold your top thread till you take those first stiches

  12. #12
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    yeah I did (say hold the thread for a few stitches)

  13. #13
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    I am still having trouble. I have checked the threading to make sure its done as directed. I have double checked the bobbin casing it appears that its installed correctly, and that the bobbing thread is going in the correct direction. I tried hand turning the knob and moving the machine over the fabric and it appeared to be doing fine. Then I started using the speed regulator button and it appeared to be doing fine until the thread broke - URGH!!! So I re-threaded it and started again. I accidentally hit the button on the regulator when trying to pull up the bobbin thread - now the needle is stuck in the down position and I cannot turn the knob to get it up. It might be slightly bent at this point...

  14. #14
    Super Member trif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Maybe it's time you called chuck at the Bailey company, he was very helpful. Did you sew for about an hour without moving the machine like I suggested? I know it sounds nuts but seriously you need to try it. Or worked on mine and Chuck told me that seems to be the biggest issue, cause we are anxious to quilt right away.

  15. #15
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by trif
    Maybe it's time you called chuck at the Bailey company, he was very helpful. Did you sew for about an hour without moving the machine like I suggested? I know it sounds nuts but seriously you need to try it. Or worked on mine and Chuck told me that seems to be the biggest issue, cause we are anxious to quilt right away.
    I wish I could sew for that long at all... the most I get is 30 seconds. grrr!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    473
    When I got my Bailey I was having the same problem and GRRRR. Very frustrating. Tried all the suggestions given - still no luck. Then I actually looked carefully at my threading and I found it was not in the proper place as I went around the tension disc. I was threading it from the side as it was on the frame and I guess I didn't get it right. Anyhow, after figuring that out, it has worked like a dream since then. No problems, no broken threads ever. You will love this machine.

  17. #17
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    Cheryl, I forgot to mention that, it is sooo east to think you have it between the disc but it may actually be just in a crack! Kristen when you get it figured out you won't regret your purchase I promise. I went thru a lot getting the kinks out and just getting to know BabyGirl Bailey, I told my husband one time if I could get it to the window I'd chunk the damn thing out(two story house)! but now I ove her. :)

  18. #18
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl222
    When I got my Bailey I was having the same problem and GRRRR. Very frustrating. Tried all the suggestions given - still no luck. Then I actually looked carefully at my threading and I found it was not in the proper place as I went around the tension disc. I was threading it from the side as it was on the frame and I guess I didn't get it right. Anyhow, after figuring that out, it has worked like a dream since then. No problems, no broken threads ever. You will love this machine.
    Could you take a picture of that area and post it here? I want to make sure I am not doing the same thing. thank you. I am sure I will eventually be really happy with her its just frustrating right now. I wish the instructions had better pictures along with the directions and labeled pictures of the pieces so I could verify what is what.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl222
    When I got my Bailey I was having the same problem and GRRRR. Very frustrating. Tried all the suggestions given - still no luck. Then I actually looked carefully at my threading and I found it was not in the proper place as I went around the tension disc. I was threading it from the side as it was on the frame and I guess I didn't get it right. Anyhow, after figuring that out, it has worked like a dream since then. No problems, no broken threads ever. You will love this machine.
    Could you take a picture of that area and post it here? I want to make sure I am not doing the same thing. thank you. I am sure I will eventually be really happy with her its just frustrating right now. I wish the instructions had better pictures along with the directions and labeled pictures of the pieces so I could verify what is what.

    Hi Kristen.

    I tried to take a picture but don't know if you can see what it is. Stand on a stool so you can look from the top. I used a stileto to try to point to the place. If you look down you see springs toward the back and the thread discs in the front. Make sure your threads are not in the springs. That was causing my problems.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl222
    Quote Originally Posted by kristen0112
    Quote Originally Posted by cheryl222
    When I got my Bailey I was having the same problem and GRRRR. Very frustrating. Tried all the suggestions given - still no luck. Then I actually looked carefully at my threading and I found it was not in the proper place as I went around the tension disc. I was threading it from the side as it was on the frame and I guess I didn't get it right. Anyhow, after figuring that out, it has worked like a dream since then. No problems, no broken threads ever. You will love this machine.
    Could you take a picture of that area and post it here? I want to make sure I am not doing the same thing. thank you. I am sure I will eventually be really happy with her its just frustrating right now. I wish the instructions had better pictures along with the directions and labeled pictures of the pieces so I could verify what is what.

    Hi Kristen.

    I tried to take a picture but don't know if you can see what it is. Stand on a stool so you can look from the top. I used a stileto to try to point to the place. If you look down you see springs toward the back and the thread discs in the front. Make sure your threads are not in the springs. That was causing my problems.
    THANK YOU! I will have to check that. I looked at that and wasn't sure where it was supposed to be lining up.

  21. #21
    Junior Member janny40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, fl
    Posts
    120
    I just got my Baileys home quilter, a week ago now. I find it difficult to remember to put the foot down and when I did that it left a big mess on the back of the quilt and jammed it almost every time, it was frustrating. When I first put the bobbin case together, I tried to put it together wrong. Make sure after you put the round fork part in, then put the next piece with the flat side out, I was trying to do it the opposite way and remember to put the pin-like raised point in center and the other 2 sides, move the flaps over top of the raised pin-like areas. When you put the bobbin in it clicks into place. I have finished my first quilt now, didn't do any fancy work, just stitched in the ditch. I have it on my bed and am very happy with my quilt I finished. My husband likes it too.

  22. #22
    Super Member trif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    1,491
    Janny40, good job working out all the kinks. I love quilting with my Bailey.

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Ebensburg PA
    Posts
    1
    Blog Entries
    1

    charmar100

    I just got my Baileys Pro 17 a week or so ago and had all kinds of problems with it. It turned out to be the thread kept coming out of the lifter and then that took it out of the tension springs. I was so frustrted I wanted to send the machine back. Then my husband put shrink tubing on the lift and it started working. I was able to quilt all weekend. I decided to practice again this evening before I put a real quilt top on the frame and now, the machine will not sew. It runs and I can pull the thread up, make a stitch or two, then it starts sewing long stitches and pretty soon there is no bobbin thread. I have removed the bobbin and took the whole case apart, reassembled it and no luck. Any suggestions for what I am doing wrong?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.