Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help (Billie?)! 1970s MW Signature Darn Button Won't depress >

Help (Billie?)! 1970s MW Signature Darn Button Won't depress

Help (Billie?)! 1970s MW Signature Darn Button Won't depress

Old 05-02-2011, 04:43 PM

You need a pentrating oil if kerosene doesn't work. I think Kroil is a good one. Liquid Wrench is another. If you have to use WD-40, be sure to clean it all off. It's not good to leave on a machine. Saturate the area and let it set. Try to move it, repeat if necessary. Old oil can get very stubborn.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by irishrose
You need a pentrating oil if kerosene doesn't work. I think Kroil is a good one. Liquid Wrench is another. If you have to use WD-40, be sure to clean it all off. It's not good to leave on a machine. Saturate the area and let it set. Try to move it, repeat if necessary. Old oil can get very stubborn.
This works but add a light tap from a hammer and it will free up. I have run into the stubborn ones like that before and a good oiling and a little force is in order.

Billy
Old 05-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Ah the good old hit it with a hammer technic :) I hope Billy helped fix this for you! it is a beautiful machine!!
Old 05-03-2011, 02:59 AM

You know, I actually considered a hammer... but now that I have permission from the expert, I'll actually go get it!

Thanks, too, for the oil recommendations.

Re: kerosene: I have seen Billy's tutorials on using this for soaking parts when you've disassembled a machine, but how would one use kerosene (other than VERY carefully) on a machine that's assembled?

And as long as we're discussing oil, what are your recommendations for an oil to use regularly? This particular machine seems to be needing a lot of oil -- perhaps because it was hardly used for 35 years and now it's being used daily? or maybe I'm just using the wrong kind of oil?

Many thanks for the help, everyone; I'll report later (I'm barely up yet).

-- Jillaine
P.S. while googling this machine I found an auction for one in SW Florida (Goodwill) here:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...e-7813153.html

Current price $4.99
2 days left for bidding
Old 05-03-2011, 03:39 AM

when useing hammer, remember, EASY DOES IT. dh used one to free up bolt on commode, we got a new commode. LOL (now, not then).
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM

Beautiful machine! :) I would try PB Blaster or Kroil.

I've tried Liquid Wrench and it's okay, but in my limited experience, PB Blaster is much faster.

As for oil, I've been so happy with TriFlow that I don't usually use anything else on my machines, lately. Regular sewing machine oil is fine and it doesn't matter what brand. But, TriFlow is really wonderful stuff - most of it evaporates away and it leaves "Teflon" behind as a semi-dry lubricant. Over time, it dislodges old gunky oil and makes it easy to wipe away. Jenny at sew-classic.com has it - a 2oz bottle lasts a very long time. She's also got the grease for gears if you need it.

Good luck with your machine - hope she loosens up and starts doing what she was made to do - she's certainly decorative! :)
Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
This works but add a light tap from a hammer and it will free up. I have run into the stubborn ones like that before and a good oiling and a little force is in order.

Billy
Oh, I got such a laugh out of this! My dear, dear hubby (now deceased) worked for Montgomery Ward in the sewing machine/vacuum department, back in the 70s. He used a hammer or rubber mallet ALL the time to fix machines. The company encouraged it, and gosh darn .. it worked! I never let him come anywhere near my machines with that hammer, though! Thanks for the smile on my face this morning.... and I hope the hammer works for you, but be gentle!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:44 AM

I was so scared to try the hammer that I put it off for a few days! But no need to be scared. Just a few taps (after a bit more oil-- you know, I just used 3-in-one because that's all I had) and it moved like a charm and all is working well now! yippee!! I'm thrilled. Now I can get those feed dogs down (down boy, down!) and try FMQ!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:11 PM

You made my husband proud! :-)