Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help With Bisquit Quilt >

Help With Bisquit Quilt

Help With Bisquit Quilt

Old 03-23-2015, 11:59 AM

Default Help With Bisquit Quilt

I want to make a 40 by 40 bisquit/puff quilt. I do not know what size squares would be best for me to use for this size quilt nor do I know how to calculate the number of busquits I will need nor the amount of fabric I will need to purchase. I do not want really small bisquits or a giant ones either. I have never seen one in real life and the sizes differ in the tutorials I have found on line. What size did you make yours and did you wish you had made bigger or smaller puffs?

Thanks for your help. Betty
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 PM

I bought a pattern, Simplicity I think, the back squares were 3" and the top or puff square was 4", mine was for a double bed, it's too much for a top load washer.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM

Hi Betty...when i did mine for my DGD, i used the "new" method - if you Google Bubble Quilt Method #2 --- it is the "new method" tutorial at www.awaitingada.com. My front squares were 6" and back squares 4.5". I chose to put a "flat" border around mine - and my DDIL wanted the ruffle too. Here is a photo of that one.....which turned out to be about 33 x 48 plus ruffle. Because i used so many colors, I only purchased 3/4 yard of each color - but also used the fabric guide from the tutorial. Good luck with yours, whichever method you use.[ATTACH=CONFIG]514600[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails puff-quilt-done.jpg  
Old 03-23-2015, 03:55 PM

PenniF,

I love your quilt! The only "puff" quilt I have made was a pillow. The squares were a bit smaller. My question is about the border. Do you have batting in that row of half squares around the edge?

Thanks!

Dayle
Old 03-23-2015, 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Daylesewblessed;7138421]PenniF,

I love your quilt! The only "puff" quilt I have made was a pillow. The squares were a bit smaller. My question is about the border. Do you have batting in that row of half squares around the edge?

Thank you ....Yes...batting only secured by SID around each half square - because with this method you put on a separate backing fabric and birth the quilt. To finish, I tied at each corner of each square - tie tails are on the back of the quilt.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I've made a few. finished size is about 1" less than the backing
so I would take a 3" backing pc and cut my biscuit top 4"
pleat it down to 3".
Most of mine have been 3-4inches finished. just multiply.'
so.... 3" finished puff
30 x 36 would be
10 x 12 pcs or 120 pcs finished.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:43 PM

Thank you ladies for your assistnce with my Bubble/Bisquit Quilt. I watched the tutorial for the Bubble Quilt Method #2 and I have decided that's the way to go. I also believe the 6 inch block paired with the 4.5 inch block will be a good size for me.

Thanks again and happy quilting. Betty
Old 03-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Haven't made one since the 70s. It was probably somewhere around 4" finished.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 AM

Keep in mind that once you stuff your biscuits they will be much smaller so you'll need more biscuits to cover the area that you need. A friend of mine made a quilt and didn't take this into consideration. She calculated the overall size of the quilt based on the size of her squares. Her twin size quilt turned into a lap quilt if even that once she stuffed her biscuits. You might want to make a sample with say four biscuits by four biscuits and measure the size before and after to give you an idea of how many squares you will need to get the size you want. Once you have that it is easy to calculate the amount of fabric.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Hi Betty...when i did mine for my DGD, i used the "new" method - if you Google Bubble Quilt Method #2 --- it is the "new method" tutorial at www.awaitingada.com. My front squares were 6" and back squares 4.5". I chose to put a "flat" border around mine - and my DDIL wanted the ruffle too. Here is a photo of that one.....which turned out to be about 33 x 48 plus ruffle. Because i used so many colors, I only purchased 3/4 yard of each color - but also used the fabric guide from the tutorial. Good luck with yours, whichever method you use.[ATTACH=CONFIG]514600[/ATTACH]
OMG! I made a queen size the old way! Why couldn't I see this tutorial first? That is sew much easier! It completely removes the worst part, wrestling all that fabric and stuffing under the needle! Thank you so much for finding this for me! You are my Wednesday hero! I will say that a 3" base and a 4" top make a great baby blanket, but for adults I use 4.5" base and a 5.5" top, and do not stuff them full. If they are too full they can be uncomfortable to sleep on, and too warm to sleep under, they need to be puffs, not mountains. I will warn you though if you make a queen, you will not wash it at home. I have a huge capacity washer, and it can not handle the puff quilt. I can post a picture or you can go look at my pictures to see what we lovingly call "the monster".