Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP,  can cotton, cotton batting and polyester plush for backing be combines? >

HELP, can cotton, cotton batting and polyester plush for backing be combines?

HELP, can cotton, cotton batting and polyester plush for backing be combines?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i've used fleece twice to back quilts.

the first time, i didn't add batting. it went well enough but the cotton top wouldn't cling to the fleece so i ended up with some puckers and tucks along the lines of quilting.

the second time, i added a very thin cotton batting. what a difference! the cotton top "stuck" nicely to the batting. the batting "stuck" to the fleece. it wasn't hard to work with at all and i had noooooooo puckers or tucks when it was done. :-)

if your worried it'll be too heavy or too warm, i'm convinced a nice flannel would work just as well as the batting did.

i don't prewash batting, but i've gotten into the habit of prewashing everything else.
thank you ! I tried to get flannel but couldn't get the color I needed. So you had no problems not prewashing the batting. I was concerned it might shrink up a wee bit.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by M.E.H.
Sorry I can not help with your ?. But I do love your fabric.
thank you . I have alot of cutting to do.. seperating the gold from the green.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Maybe tie it when it's done? That way you won't have to fight with the back rumpling/wrinkling.
Yes for sure.. I will tie it. I haven't gotten to free style quilting yet. Petrified of it , matter of fact!!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by dkabasketlady
Your fabrics are very RICH looking. I haven't used anything other than cotton for the backing, but your couch throw will be beautiful when done.
thank you . I loved the fabric when I saw it, bought it without a clue of what to do with it..
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM

[quote=ckcowl]certainly you can use the poly cuddly stuff for your backing...i do it all the time. i have never had any problems using minky or fleece to back a quilt. the quilt that lives on my bed has a Mariner's compass 100% cotton top/ dream wool batting/ and curly minky backing...all put together, quilted, bound and washed as is...it is a favorite quilt.. the kids call it the (get-naked) quilt because it's so soft and fuzzy! they turn out great...i've made 5 so far that way, the kids all like them cozy soft. some i've used warm & natural, some a poly batt, mine a wool batt...and one i used just a wide piece of flannel for the inside layer. all have turned out just fine with no special treatment, or prewashing.
GREAT to know.. thank you !! And it quilted ok too? I am not sure if I am that gutsy yet. maybe I will get instructions and sew a wee sample and try it.. Something VERY Simple.. I love all the curls and motion I see but don't feel that brave.. thank you so much.. Guess I should start sometime quilting. This might be the first go at it!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
thank you ! I tried to get flannel but couldn't get the color I needed. So you had no problems not prewashing the batting. I was concerned it might shrink up a wee bit.
the batting will shrink, but that just adds cuddly character to the quilt.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Power Poster

The addition of batting is going to make this a very warm quilt.. maybe leave it out?
I would quilt it, but not without using a walking foot to help keep the fabric feeding evenly to prevent stretching the backing.
I think it will be an awesome quilt :D:D:D
Old 11-08-2010, 03:27 PM

I've quilted a couple quilts with the combination you are talking about. The only thing I've noticed is that it is a little tighter in my walking foot.

I also did one that was fleece on the top and bottom, with batting in the middle. I probably should have raised my hopping foot on that one, but I was able to work from the front of my machine (custom) and was able to cross the intersections just fine. If I had been doing a panto (from the back) I don't think I would have been as successful.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by amma
The addition of batting is going to make this a very warm quilt.. maybe leave it out?
I would quilt it, but not without using a walking foot to help keep the fabric feeding evenly to prevent stretching the backing.
I think it will be an awesome quilt :D:D:D
That is a good idea. I could do that.
I have so much to learn. So I call my local Janome dealer and get a walking foot?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
I've quilted a couple quilts with the combination you are talking about. The only thing I've noticed is that it is a little tighter in my walking foot.

I also did one that was fleece on the top and bottom, with batting in the middle. I probably should have raised my hopping foot on that one, but I was able to work from the front of my machine (custom) and was able to cross the intersections just fine. If I had been doing a panto (from the back) I don't think I would have been as successful.
Oh this wild now.. a hopping foot and a walking foot. I think I need to go my dealer and cry for help LOL.... thank you !!