Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade

Blog Entries

Help - Changing a Rotary Cutter Blade

Been quilting almost 13 years and still have to go to Youtube every single time I need to change rotary blades. And I have the quick change rotary cutter!!! Any tips on how to skip Youtube and just do it?
    rvsfan
    A Ricky Van Shelton fan

KLO
    Blog Entries
    As I take each part off the handle, I put it down in a "horizontal line" with the other pieces with the first one off being the one farthermost from where I am working. I usually pull each piece off and place it down so that I can pick it up the same way I put it down and put it back on the handle the same way it came off. Hope that makes sense. Oh and maybe put the pieces taken off from one side of the handle to the left (as you are holding the cutter just as you would use it) and the pieces taken off from the right side to the right. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    As I take each part off the handle, I put it down in a "horizontal line" with the other pieces with the first one off being the one farthermost from where I am working. I usually pull each piece off and place it down so that I can pick it up the same way I put it down and put it back on the handle the same way it came off. Hope that makes sense. Oh and maybe put the pieces taken off from one side of the handle to the left (as you are holding the cutter just as you would use it) and the pieces taken off from the right side to the right. Hope this helps.
    That's how I do it but I don't have a quick change cutter. Just the regular Olfa one.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I wear my Klutz glove when changing a blade. Any protection helps.

Blog Entries
    thanks for making it so clear
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Ah you are not alone, I kept the outer pkg from the cutter and use the diagram every time I change the blades. Laying out the pieces in order helps, perhaps you could write down the exact order of pieces next time and tack the paper to the wall.

Blog Entries
    I am laughing loudly, not at you but at me! I have been quilting for almost 10 years and at the quilt retreat I was just at the gal who owns the quilt shop and hosts the retreat said, "Sharon you have your blade on the wrong side." News to me, it seemed to work ok, then I remembered when I was cutting double layer of fleece I had a hard time getting the blade to go through the double layer. We sometimes are a slow learning bunch. lol
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

I change mine just like KLO does.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    How I do it. The hubs uses this method when he takes things apart. First piece removed is farthest from the thinga majig. Often depending we both will take a quick photo.

Power Poster
    I do fine until I get to that curved washer thingy. I can't even tell from the diagram which way it should go.

This is kind of embarrassing, but I will fess up. A few years ago I stumbled onto an incredible deal on EBay. I got 3 Olfa original stick style 60mm cutters, 10 Olfa 60mm replacement blades and a pair of extra sharp small pointy scissors all unused in original packaging for $39. I gave one of the cutters to a friend who is a fellow quilter. I kept the other two. I only use one for cutting and the other one stays in its package so I can see how to put everything back together after changing blades. Yes, that's right, I have one for cutting and a 2nd one whose sole purpose in life is to be a real life model showing what a correctly put together rotary cutter is supposed to look like

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    This is kind of embarrassing, but I will fess up. A few years ago I stumbled onto an incredible deal on EBay. I got 3 Olfa original stick style 60mm cutters, 10 Olfa 60mm replacement blades and a pair of extra sharp small pointy scissors all unused in original packaging for $39. I gave one of the cutters to a friend who is a fellow quilter. I kept the other two. I only use one for cutting and the other one stays in its package so I can see how to put everything back together after changing blades. Yes, that's right, I have one for cutting and a 2nd one whose sole purpose in life is to be a real life model showing what a correctly put together rotary cutter is supposed to look like

Rob
    That's cute. Wonder if you've thought to take a close up picture or two of the packaged one and just keep the picture tacked near the replacement blades?

Power Poster
    Sounds reasonable to me.

I do it KLO's way, but I set the parts down in a shoebox lid as I go, so they don't roll away or fall off the table why I'm taking the thing apart. Learned the hard way and have also accepted that I'm diagram-challenged. So lining them up left to right in the order I take them off has been the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do fine until I get to that curved washer thingy. I can't even tell from the diagram which way it should go.
    Think of the curvy thing as a cowboy hat with the brim turned up.

I scanned the package of my cutter and can just pull up the directions on my computer without going to youtube. I have to do that with a lot of my how to directions, can't remember anything anymore.....I also store them in Dropbox, so I can look up on my phone if I am away from home and my computer. my mind is pitiful......sigh

Quote Originally Posted by zozee View Post
    That's cute. Wonder if you've thought to take a close up picture or two of the packaged one and just keep the picture tacked near the replacement blades?
    Nope, never occurred to me LOL
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammasharon View Post
    I am laughing loudly, not at you but at me! I have been quilting for almost 10 years and at the quilt retreat I was just at the gal who owns the quilt shop and hosts the retreat said, "Sharon you have your blade on the wrong side." News to me, it seemed to work ok, then I remembered when I was cutting double layer of fleece I had a hard time getting the blade to go through the double layer. We sometimes are a slow learning bunch. lol
    LOL, I did this the other day when I cleaned my cutter. I could not understand why it wasn't cutting properly. Well when I realized what I had done of course I had to smile to myself. I get crazier ever year
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I'm glad I'm not the only cutter assembly challenged! I once put two blades on the cutter at once! Usually I have my husband do it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb View Post
    Fantastic hint Patchworkbarb. This has always been my problem as well, how to get it back on again.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchworkbarb View Post
    Good hint! Thank you.

I manage but always dread changing the blade. I'd do it more often it was easier.

I just looked up pictures of the brand that I have because I was wondering if I have it correct. All the pictures show the blade on the left. I checked mine and it's okay. Would it help to see a picture?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by rvsfan View Post
    Been quilting almost 13 years and still have to go to Youtube every single time I need to change rotary blades. And I have the quick change rotary cutter!!! Any tips on how to skip Youtube and just do it?
    Goodness, I did not realize that there was a art to changing the blade. I just do it and have for 6 years without mishap or error.
    All my grand-children have paws.

I took a blank piece of paper and as I took pieces off, I very carefully traced around them in a horizontal line. Then I put the paper in a sheet protector. Whenever I change a blade I pull it out and set the pieces on the diagram.

I really like the idea of taking pictures with my phone and just finished doing that and printing them out - one with it together and a second with the pieces on the diagram. I have added them to my original diagram and love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast