Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help choosing machine >

Help choosing machine

Help choosing machine

Old 07-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Question Help choosing machine

I'm buying a new (to me) sewing/embroidery machine and having trouble deciding between the Brother Dream 2/Baby Lock Destiny 2 or the Pfaff Sensation Pro. I like the stippling and simple digitizing of the Dream/Destiny buy also like the Precise Positioning of the Sensation Pro.

Can anyone who has either let me know how you like them?
Old 07-27-2019, 05:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by redbaron39 View Post
... I like the stippling and simple digitizing of the Dream/Destiny...
A word of caution about the 'simple' digitizing... I had purchased the Destiny. Every time I tried to have it digitize a design I wanted, it always told me it's 'too complicated' to have Destiny do it. So if your designs are not too complicated, it may just be the machine for you. I returned mine because I can digitize my own designs for my very old Brother machine.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to add that the screen to edit designs on is just too small for my old eyes I used the stylus, but was unable to edit with precision.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:11 AM

Can't help, all my machines are vintage
Old 07-27-2019, 07:49 AM

First consideration, be sure the dealer gives unlimited lessons on either machine.

I have the Dream and love adding stippling to the design. You can get perfect positioning with either the camera feature or the sensor pen. The camera feature shows the design exactly on the fabric. I have quilted a baby quilt using the camera feature to line up the embroidery design.

As mentioned above the digitizing is for more simple shapes not complicated pictures. The machine will resize the design and change the stitch density for you.

I use the WF for binding and quilting bag projects. There are different feet available that go on the WF.

There is a built help feature with the press of a button.

Love the buttonhole feature and that it sews the button on for you too.

The machine saves the stitch count if you have to turn off the machine. You resume in the same place the next time.

Love the accessory box that comes with the machine filled with machine feet and tools.

I don't know the other machine you are considering so not able to help.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Forgot to add that the screen to edit designs on is just too small for my old eyes I used the stylus, but was unable to edit with precision.
I have the dream but destiny should have one too. There is a button to enlarge the design so you can see it bigger. At the left of screen in the 'edit" mode, there is a plus or minus key. It allows the design to be 200% on the screen.

This doesn't change the design size or stitch count. It just enlarges on the screen. Hope that helps!
Old 07-27-2019, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Can't help, all my machines are vintage
I too have only older mechanical/vintage sewing machines. Does that prevent me from commenting here? Oh no as the truth is I use my laptop computer & my smartphones for computer graphics from the planning stages to some production work. Built in computer assisted features seem to be limiting in some rather uncontrollable ways as these 2 sewing machines seem to show up.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:34 AM

I've been very happy with my Baby Lock Ellisimo. Used the Destiny in a sewing class and loved it.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by redbaron39 View Post
I'm buying a new (to me) sewing/embroidery machine and having trouble deciding between the Brother Dream 2/Baby Lock Destiny 2 or the Pfaff Sensation Pro. I like the stippling and simple digitizing of the Dream/Destiny buy also like the Precise Positioning of the Sensation Pro.

Can anyone who has either let me know how you like them?
Nothing beats the camera for positioning on the brothers and babylocks so if it is positioning you are looking at the dream is the way to go