Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Christmas Quilts >

Help with Christmas Quilts

Help with Christmas Quilts

Old 12-10-2010, 07:32 PM

I agree with what others have said in regards to your questions, but I have a suggestion for your last question. If you're talking about binding the rag quilts, you really don't have to. You can sew around the outside on the quilt just like you did on the blocks, making sure all layers are trimmed to the same width, then snip them so they will 'rag' like the rest of the quilt. Although having made a couple of them myself, I think I'd rather bind than cut all those short little snips around the edge.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:09 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I, too, lost both parents fairly close in time, though not so close as you. I think of them often when I sew or garden, their favorite activities. Please honor your parents by taking good care of their greatest treasure -- yourself -- and when you sew, take the time to put some of your love for them into each quilt rather than rushing to get them all done for a rigid schedule.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM

I am very sorry for your loss.

I often use a wrap-a-round binding. I use a straight stitch and they lay nicely and last as long as a separate, attached binding.

Don't forget to take some time for yourself.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Qbee I'm sorry to hear about your losses. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. I agree with cwessels47 take care of YOU first, the rest can be done later. Who knows maybe they are not expecting nothing.Lord Bless You!!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 PM

I'm sorry for the loss of two parents in such a short time! Wow.

I'd leave off the buttons. Tying will be quicker without them, but more than that, the quilts would be much more comfortable without them. No one wants to sit on buttons, or wrap little hard pieces of plastic around themselves to warm themselves up. If the quilts are to be strictly decorative, then it'd be okay.

We use polyester batting all the time in charity quilts (cuz that's all I have here that I know of!) and I tend to tie in about 6" distances. Sometimes it is 4" and sometimes even farther apart. So far now problems that I know of.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 PM

Everyone has given great answers to your quilt questions. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
OK....first let me say a huge THANK YOU to everyone on this board! I found this board a month or so after I lost my father back in July...ya'll have not only given me GREAT quilting help but have also given me friendships to help me through difficult times. As many of you know, my mother became ill last week and passed away on Sunday. I must say that losing both parents in 4 months has been the most difficult challenge I have faced thus far. Without this board and my "Midnight Owl Club" friends on chat, I don't know what I would do. So again, my sincere thanks!

Now....my latest call for HELP! :D Because of everything that has occurred, I am VERY behind in getting quilts made for my family for Christmas. We were already having a difficult time financially so I was doing quilts...now with Mom's funeral cost, I really need to do quilts! So...I am changing the patterns to make some very FAST and EASY quilts. I just have a couple of questions that I need clarified mainly because I think my brain is on "pause" LOL!

1. When doing a Rag Quilt, can I use cotton on the top and then flannel on the bottom?
2. Also with rag quilts, I remember some said that they left a little over an inch for cutting. How much did you cut? Like 1 and 1/4????
3. If I am tying a quilt, what type of batting would allow the most room between ties in order to save time? I was thinking of using decorative buttons for the "ties" in order to make it cute but want to make sure there are enough ties.
4. I'm afraid that there is no way I will have time to hand bind the quilts before Christmas given that I still have to go back to Texas for my Mom's "Celebration of Life" service on the 18th. I know some of you have done binding by machine. What do you think of me making the backing big and then folding it to the front and using a decorative stitch??

Thanks ahead of time for your help!!!
So very sorry for your great loss, I too have lost both parents, but thank goodness many years apart. It is terrifically hard either way. Prayers are with you.
Go to this site for some infor on Rag Quilts, found this earlier in the week while looking for something else. http//quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quilt_basic.htm this should get you to the site, if not just go to about.quilts.com and search for rag quilts. Good luck. You might also go online and check out the 10minute block pattern. looks like fun and seems like it will be a quick one too. I plan to try it after Christmas myself. Where in Texas did your mom live?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:12 AM

So sorry for your losses. Those words are so inadequate and I wish I could express myself in a more profound way. Please know that they come from my heart.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 AM

Gail I am so sorry to hear about you losing both parents so close like that. May God bless you and you get all the quilts done.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 PM

qBee... so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. My mom is 80 and her health isn't the best, and I know that sad day awaits us one day. Please be easy on yourself at this time. I love the others' ideas of fleece blankets. Easy to do without the stress that a proper quilt can bring. Your loved ones will still be able to wrap themselves in a warm and snuggly gift from you. Take your vitamins, walk every day, get a manicure. Many blessings to you. xoxo