Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with color bleeding?? >

help with color bleeding??

help with color bleeding??

Old 07-13-2015, 09:34 AM

I have a link to a website that has a recipe to make your own colour catchers. I don't know if I can post it here, though. I will post it in the forum, external links, under the title: Make your own colour catchers. I haven't tried it but I certainly intend to.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:04 PM

I always wash my fabric after I complete the quilt. That said, I have had very good luck with the recipe I found here on the board for setting colors and I mainly sew with batiks. The thread is "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running" and I am pretty sure that it would work just as well for people who prefer to prewash.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM

Ignore this - many recipes by using Google!
..I'd love to see that! Never been able to "search" with more than one word. Anybody have the link for it? Ta very much.

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I always wash my fabric after I complete the quilt. That said, I have had very good luck with the recipe I found here on the board for setting colors and I mainly sew with batiks. The thread is "Recipe to Keep Colors from Running" and I am pretty sure that it would work just as well for people who prefer to prewash.

Last edited by Kitsie; 07-14-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:01 AM

I have just posted on another thread about washing definitely red fabric not batek .this is a photo of a ruined lone star, well a new blanket for the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 AM

Thanks lady ..I did wash the Batiks 4 times and after listening to Dunster I didn't put the color catchers in (didn't want to waste them) but did put in two very white diapers and a white pillow case and they came out as white as snow, so can I now think that the fabric will not bleed anymore.. I Hope!

this is the first time that I am using Batik< I always looked at this fabric at the store and thought that it was so pretty but never bought any, so this time I just decided to try it even tho it was a little more then I usually pay for cotton fabric.. Does all Batik have a different feel to it after it is washed and dried them cotton? This fabric feels heavier and a little stiff is all Batik like this... it is nice as it didn't wrinkle very much after I took it out of the dryer, so that is a good thing..
Old 07-14-2015, 11:31 AM

Ladies! You can reuse colour catchers!

When I prewash Batiks, I wash like colours together. Throw in three catchers, wash in hot water, rinse in cold. If the catchers aren't ultra pale, I wash again adding a fourth colour catcher. If the new catcher is white or pale, they've caught all the dye.

I save all the colour catchers by colour family. They just keep getting darker, so it's obvious they are still soaking up excess dye.

Occasionally a Batik is REALLY saturated with dye. Not often, but it happens. I throw in the whole pile of matching coloured catchers plus one new one and wash again in hot water/cold rinse. Repeat until the "newest" catcher is pale/white as above.

*LOL* I enjoy the stack of rainbow colour catchers that results from separating them by colour family.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:43 PM

There's a product called synthrapol to stop colour bleeding in fabric
it is a liquid you add to your washing machine etc
it is very inexpensive for the lucky u.s quilter
as we in canada are dealing with a very low dollar value
follow the directions on the bottle
do not be afraid to make your quilt and wash with synthrapol
my first rescue of a quilt was one someone discarded
because the quilt had been dried after the colours had bled
have been a fan ever since
any reputable quilt shop sells it
or will custom order it