Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with colour matching please >

Help with colour matching please

Help with colour matching please

Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 AM

Default Help with colour matching please

Hi Everyone,

If you have a colour matching card for Kona as well as another manufacture, could you let me know if there is a colour that matches Kona midnight perfectly? Everywhere has a dark purple instead of the actual midnight BLUE fabric. My daughter is unable to wear polyester so I have to see her school uniform dresses for her. I've been trying to get the colour colour and the purple keeps showing up at my door. I really have to try to match the colour perfectly, since my dress pattern doesn't match exactly.

She's going to grow soon and I have won't have the next size of dress ready for her. I've been trying to order 3.5 yards of Kona midnight since early Dec. Help please if you can.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:26 AM

Default Picture

Here's a picture of the difference in colour.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Have you been to Ruti's in Streetsville? or the Hobby Horse just outside of Georgetown?
Perhaps they could check against their colour cards for you.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Have you been to Ruti's in Streetsville? or the Hobby Horse just outside of Georgetown?
Perhaps they could check against their colour cards for you.
My husband broke his leg and my daughter and I have been sick for the last two, so I'm hoping for an online solution.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 AM

I'm confused. Midnight is a very black-blue...Kona has nothing else like it, if that's what you're asking. Some online retailers actually have it with their black fabrics instead of the blues.

Or are you saying that Kona Midnight is the right color, and you just can't find it in stock anywhere? Hancock's of Paducah has it in stock. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-KONA-1232

It's on sale for a penny less here.
http://www.batikcorneratfabriccorner...=1#ks_midnight

The color variations could just be different dye lots if you're sure what they're sending was sold as Kona Midnight. Personally, I'd trust Hancock's of Paduach to make it right for you.

Your photo color does match the color card color very closely, btw, and some of the difference could just be due to monitor and camera variations.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:54 PM

Midnight was a very black-blue. Now apparently it's a dark purple. The dress in the front was sewn with Kona Midnight a year ago, and it matches my Kona colour card (although it's faded slightly from multiple washings). The fabric folded behind it is the new version which is a dark purple, definitely not a blue anymore, and definitely not the right colour to match the other uniform dresses.

I've tried various sources (32 to be exact) including Hancock's of Paducah, the Fat Quarter Shop, etc. to try to get the old version of it, which is blue. Everyone seems to have the purple version from the new die lot.

I was hoping someone had an older Kona colour card and a newer Bella Moda colour card and would be able to tell me another fabric colour that matches what the old Kona Midnight was.

I knew die lots could have an effect, but I never expected it to be a completely different shade of colour!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 PM

Looking at the Robert Kaufman page for their Kona Cottons ... Midnight #K001-1232 still appears to be a very dark blue, so I don't think they've changed it. I was kind of skeptical that Kona would change the names of their colors and re-use names for different colors ... just not logical. Wondering if the fabric you are getting from others isn't really Kona Cotton??

If I were you I would contact Kaufman and verify that "Midnight K001-1232" is a deep dark blue with no hint of purple. If so, inquire where you can order it, and order it by the number, not the name.

However, if you can't find it, there are three other colors that appear to be very close: Nightfall, Nautical and Indigo.

Here's the Kona page with all the colors

Good luck!

http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabrics/kona_cotton/#tabs
Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
.............Wondering if the fabric you are getting from others isn't really Kona Cotton??.................

..... or perhaps they are shipping her Kona, but not shipping the correct colour (intentionally, or unknowingly)??

Sometimes the stores really have no way of knowing the correct bolt colours as they do not always come labelled as to the colour name and #.

You know how it goes .... navy is in umpteen different shades!
Likewise we each would identify different fabrics as being Midnight Blue.