Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with commissioned quilt, redo borders >

Help with commissioned quilt, redo borders

Help with commissioned quilt, redo borders

Old 12-05-2011, 02:54 AM

Good luck with the quilt. I had a neighbor lady down the road (who has since passed on) who was working on a Double Wedding Ring quilt when she was about 85. She had made one for a grandson several years before, hand quilted it, and he sent it back saying the colors didn't match their decor (can you believe it?) and could she make him another one. By this time she was getting shaky and a DWR was not a good quilt for her to make. Now, I have cut out pieces for my mom to make several, they must have very exact seams to work. She would simply lay the rings down on her muslin and cut out the bigger white pieces like that. The puckers were unimaginable! I felt so bad for her. She was going to have it machine quilted. She kept saying "it'll quilt out!" I kept thinking "that machine quilter will have to be a miracle worker"! Did not see it finished, but I did think it served the ungrateful GS right to get a quilt in his colors in that condition!

Joyce
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 AM

I just finished quilting a vintage quilt with waves of fabric in the top and bottom borders that I had actually added after having carefully measured. After ripping out and re-measuing and reattaching, I ended up pleating four areas equally spaced apart, which quilted out fine; but then as I progressed through the quilting there were pockets of gathered fabric that were not obvious when laying out. When completed, all had quilted out just fine. Keep in mind: "vintage".....and the owner also had it stored for at least 50 years. Just as a resource, check out Love Bug Studios Blog if you can find it online and her recent post on December 3 highlights the very crisis you are describing. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:22 AM

I would contact the owner and tell her what you are finding. Have a couple of options you/she could try and get her OK before you do anything. It may not come out perfect but if there are some puckers at the end she would be aware ahead of time.