Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with cross-grain cutting? >

Help with cross-grain cutting?

Help with cross-grain cutting?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

I like to keep the selvages on for a while (I do NOT include them in any seams) - so I can tell which is the lengthwise and crosswise grain. I just snip the selvages at intervals so that the fabric lays flat.

I find that keeping the selvage info attached is useful.
Attached Thumbnails sellvage-snips.jpg  
Old 10-19-2016, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by McGargantuette View Post
Thank you!!!!!!!!

I have never tried cutting off the selvages before, and will definitely follow that and all your other helpful suggestions. Yes that pesky V-shape is one of my Achilles' heels. But with your help, maybe I can do better this time!
you are not cutting off the selvages. The selvages are lined up with the single fold at the on the top of the photo. You are trimming the raw edges of the fabric on the right after lining up your square with the double fold edge at the bottom of the photo.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:56 PM

I, too thought she meant bias when she used the term "cross grain". I re-read it and understand what she means.

I, too ignore the selvage, although I don't cut it off. If you'll watch some videos on straightening fabric, you may see what some are talking about. Few fabrics are straight with the selvage, especially these days.

This will help you understand the point of ignoring the selvage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBFfRjG8f0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF60qVY83j4

Once the fabric is straight, the V will disappear.

bkay
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
bj

No clue why I interpreted cross grain as diagonal :0). Maybe a senior moment!! Or an FYI nobody wanted?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by bj View Post
No clue why I interpreted cross grain as diagonal :0). Maybe a senior moment!! Or an FYI nobody wanted?
No, I did the same as you, thought bias binding at first. But after reading a couple of responses I went back and reread it.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:56 AM

I had issues with the dreaded 'v' in my cross-cuts for a long time. I asked one of the employees at my LQS (who is an excellent quilter and teaches their binding class). What she demo'd for me was to take your piece of fabric, folded selvage to selvage and hang it in front of you. Wiggle it sort of side-to-side to get any 'poofiness' (my term, not hers) / bubbles out of the hanging fabric. This helps to ensure that your fabric is 'on grain'.

For me, I find this works best with pre-washed fabric as you don't have the manufacturer's pressed fold and it makes the piece flexible and easier to find that 'on grain' appearance. I then lay that mostly straight piece of fabric on my ironing surface (I use my cutting table with towels as an ironing surface) and smooth the fabric from the fold to the selvage as well as the cut edges until it lays flat. I then press the folded edge. I don't care if the selvages line up - they generally won't. I then move the piece to my cutting mat and line my ruler exactly square on the folded edge. Trim off the uneven side and then measure my cuts from there.

Since I've been using this process - truly no more 'v' in my strips!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:42 AM

If your fabric edge lines up with the vertical line on the ruler, and your fabric fold lines up with a horizontal line along the bottom of the ruler, your cut will be straight. If one of these doesn't line up, your cut will be crooked. I find that often after a few cuts, I have to refold my fabric and re-trim the edge.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:06 AM

You are not alone in having this problem. It can be very frustrating. I now check to see if I have a V after every couple of cuts. If I find I'm having a V, I re-straighten my fabric. Because now straightening my fabric results in the edges not being evern, make the next cut about 1/4 of an inch wider, then trim back that strip back to the correct size. Yes, it does waste a tiny bit of fabric, but it works for me.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:33 AM

I remove the selvages and spray starch and iron my fabric. I use a dot of Elmer's glue stick glue every 2 inches or so to keep the selvages from slipping.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:55 PM

I always trim off the selvages before I cut anything and that way I am sure it doesn't end up in a seam somewhere.