Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help - cutting layout for kits >

Help - cutting layout for kits

Help - cutting layout for kits

Old 06-05-2021, 07:04 PM

Question Help - cutting layout for kits

Hi!
I'm still new to quilting and like to use kits. The one I am working on now didn't have a layout guide for cutting the fabric, just how many squares and strips were needed. Of course, I didn't plan correctly when I cut my squares and now the fabric isn't long enough for two of my strips. I'm going to just sew two shorter strips together to make it work since this is just for me but would like to avoid this in the future.

Here's my question: is there any software or online guide to help you plan a cutting layout or is it just something you get better at with practice? TIA.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:32 PM
Gay

Welcome from Australia.

I have EQ7, in which you can draw up a block and print directions for rotary cutting, and it tells you how many pieces of each color you need to cut - & if some are reversed. If a quilt is created you can print out the amount of fabric needed. For a whole quilt using all the same blocks you will need to multiply that number of each piece by how many blocks you need to make. But it will not give you that number for the whole quilt. EQ8 may offer better, I don't know. Perhaps someone here who has this version will chime in and comment.
You should have a look at Bonnie Hunters website & blog. She has quite a few free patterns to download with directions that would help you figure it out. Many of us look forward to her mystery quilt that usually begin at Thanksgiving.

Old 06-06-2021, 02:07 AM

When I get a pattern or kit that doesn’t have a cutting diagram I sketch it out on graph paper. You can figure how many strips you need to cut by dividing 40” (thats the number I use for a WOF) by the size of the piece you need to cut. By the time I’m done with a pattern there’s scribbling all over it, but I use a Frixion pen and can iron all the marks away if I chose to.
Old 06-06-2021, 04:48 AM

I've never used a kit, but I have pieced shorter pieces to make a longer strip. Who hasn't? Just wanted to say welcome from a retired teacher that is loving retirement.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:01 AM

It is common practice to sew two strips together for a sashing or border. Otherwise you would need a length of fabric as long as your longest piece. While having length of fabric is nice and stable for sashing and borders (length of fabric does not stretch the way width of fabric can), many of us do not want to spend the money on the extra yardage.

For those that cut a whole pattern at a time, many start with the largest pieces. Often smaller pieces can be cut from 'left overs'.

If you google 'fabric yardage calculator', you will see that there are several free sites. Then it is a case of entering the data--width of fabric, size of pieces, and number of pieces. This would have to be done for each group of pieces but it would give you an idea of fabric necessary for each component of your pattern.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:28 AM

Thank you, ladies! This kit is only a pillow so not much fabric but I still managed to mess my cutting up anyway! . I think graph paper would have been the way to plan for this project. I do have EQ8 (because I love to buy quilting stuff even if I can't quilt yet) but need to work through the tutorials to get a better understanding of it. I going to google fabric yardage calculator now to see what I get.

Thanks again for the help and welcome. I'll post a photo when I get done.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:45 AM

I love using graph paper! I've used it for layouts and also to make a block larger or smaller. I have a bunch of colored pencils left over from when my husband did hand drafting and they work great if I want/need color. Its inexpensive and fun! Sort of like an adult coloring book that you can use your finished product!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:44 AM

If you don't have graph paper handy, you can always just draw it out on plain paper and just use a scale that works for you. And as someone else mentioned, generally speaking cut your largest pieces first and work your way to the smallest ones.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

I very seldom see a complete cutting layout with a quilt pattern. I think it's something you will definitely get better at with practice.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Okle View Post
Thank you, ladies! This kit is only a pillow so not much fabric but I still managed to mess my cutting up anyway! . I think graph paper would have been the way to plan for this project. I do have EQ8 (because I love to buy quilting stuff even if I can't quilt yet) but need to work through the tutorials to get a better understanding of it. I going to google fabric yardage calculator now to see what I get.

Thanks again for the help and welcome. I'll post a photo when I get done.
Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan! We have all been there and done this. I can't tell you how many pieces I have had to scrape together to finish a single piece for a quilt because I ran out of fabric or cut something wrong (like I did a little bit ago). I am new to EQ8 and need a lot of practice yet to be of much help with it. I have managed to learn a bit about the rotary cutting examples and templates and such. I have only gotten through the first lesson and getting ready for lesson 2. I can't wait to see your pillow.