Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help deciding on most useful notion... >

Help deciding on most useful notion...

Help deciding on most useful notion...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Help deciding on most useful notion...

I won a gift certificate in the shop hop & since I have enough fabric at this point, I thought a useful notion might be just the thing. I have a choice between the large flying geese ruler or the Angler 2. Which do you folks find more useful? I don't really understand what the angler 2 is or does. I do a lot of 45 degree angles..not sure it would help. Any thoughts on these two items are appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

if you have a local shop you can probably stop in & get a free demo on both tools- then you could decide which would be more useful for you. many shops will show you how to use the different specialty rulers & tools. i use my flying geese rulers alot---but i make alot of flying geese units. i seem to go through phases where i use them (i have the small & large) everyday for months- then don't use them at all for months. the angler i never use- it lives in a drawer---been there for years- but i have found tools i don't use sometime down the road i get them out & do use them then wonder how i got along with out it for so long- or suddenly find it very useful for what i am doing....again-those phases...
Old 04-01-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Do they have the Twister of X block rulers available? I am going to buy myself the X block ruler soon.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 AM

The angler I think makes it easier to do HST so what do you do more flying geese or HST then go from there. I have the angler, but haven't used it yet because I don't do HST, but I am sure I will one day. I don't do flying geese either
Old 04-01-2012, 05:13 PM

Do you do any paperpiecing? I just got the add a quarter ruler and i LOVE it. Aside from the rotary cutter/mat/ruler combo, this is my most used tool.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 PM

I'd go for the flying geese, just got one, and it makes them perfect. I have the angler and don't use it much, it covers my bobbin case, so have to unstick all the time. I prefer the "tube" method for 1/2 square triangles.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM

I have the Angler 2 and love it, not only do I use it for HST, I also use to to keep my fabric straight as it feeds into the feed dogs. I am a new sewer and I was noticing my fabric was not straight as it fed into the feedogs. I forgot to take the angler 2 off and realized that it was great for keeping my fabric straight.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Try them both at a LQS and decide which you think you'd use most effectively.

I prefer the Angler 2. Remember I used to teach math. So what I like may not be what suits you.

ali
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 AM

Check out Quilt In A Days website to see how Eleanor Burns triangle square up ruler works. It is my must have ruler.
http://quiltinaday.com
Go to rulers and templates and click on the triangle square up ruler, it will take you to the video.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 04-02-2012 at 06:36 AM.