Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help with deciding what machine to buy.. >

help with deciding what machine to buy..

help with deciding what machine to buy..

Old 02-09-2015, 06:15 PM

Default help with deciding what machine to buy..

My number 1 + Husqvarna viking, died and I need to get another machine... I would like to have another embroidery machine as I love to embroider on my quilts.. but wow do they cost a lot, so I have been looking at used ones as that is about all I can afford..
The viking dealer has a Designer Se Limited Edition for 2000.00 she told me they would warranty it for 6 months and give me 6 lessons on how to run it.

anyone have this machine and can you tell me if you like it or not...

I was thinking of offering her a little less and see what she said about that, all she can say is no, right, I have never done anything like that before just paid what the asking price was.. but I'm going to try, LOL
Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 PM

Throw out the price. Nothing ventured....nothing gained!
Sandy.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 PM

I had the designer SE...I really did not like it at all. I sold it and bought a babylock. I don't know if I got a bum machine or if it was me...I've had Bernina, another babylock, current embroidery machine and none were as unfriendly as the viking! Check prices of the Viking on line...2000. Sounds a little pricey.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 PM

Crqlt I did look on ebay and they are some going for 2500 to 2000 so thought that the dealer was right on line with the price... wow you didn't like your designer SE...I did watch her run the machine and it sure looked like there was a lot to learn on it...I am going back on Wed to try it myself...

The reason I am going to stay with the viking machine is all the feet from my number 1+ will fit this machine..I asked the lady and she said they would..Thanks
Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Gay

You may be able to get a Brother 4000 or later model, for around the same price. I have one, also a 3000 that I don't use for embroidery anymore, and never have problems. Also very user friendly, never needed lessons. I have heard of several problems with the Husqvarnas and Berninas- not sure which models - not the latest ones. I also bought a pre-loved Pfaff CV 6 months ago, and while it has a larger embroidery area and more bells and whistles than the Bro's, it also lacks other features I've grown accustomed to. If you buy through a dealer, I would want more than 6 months warranty, as it's a lot of money for that much sewing time.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

I had a Designer I, which finally gave up the ghost. I happened on a super deal for an SE, so I got it. I LOVE that SE!!! Huge embroidery area, really nice stitches and it sews thru anything. The thing that I really like best is it is the quietest machine I've ever had. I took a class with Bonnie Hunter and she wanted to know which model it was because it was so quiet. Go for it. The price is OK, you will get a warranty and make sure you check on free user classes.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 AM

Is it possible for you to find another #1 plus in your area? This is now an older machine and someone may have one sitting around. I bought one of these machines on Kijiji last year for $200 and it had been sitting in a closet for almost 10 years doing nothing. It was so barely used that many of the components were still in their sealed original boxes.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:44 AM

traded the Des. 1 in for a Diamond and with help will try quilting on it today. A friend has one and loves it but they are still expensive/r
Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 AM

See if you can go up to a Ruby, its a great machine, has lots of newer features that you'll love and yes, except for the walking foot, it'll use the same ones as 1+. Its easy to use and uses some big hoops. I started off with the #1+ and then the Ruby and now the Diamond Deluxe. love all the machines and if you get them from a dealer, they'll be recently serviced, have classes and at least some warranty. Most dealers can get them for you at 0 financing, no matter which one you use. I bought my Ruby used obout 5 yrs ago for a little over 4000 so they should be a good price now too, can use usb plus usb cables to transfer designs and it comes with the 5D organizer that helps store your designs, you can even do some editing like getting rid of un needed jump stitches, etc. mrpatience.com has some great videos on the organizer and other Viking software. The Ruby also has self adjusting tension so I never had any tension problems. Check them out, you'll love it.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by nunnyJo View Post
traded the Des. 1 in for a Diamond and with help will try quilting on it today. A friend has one and loves it but they are still expensive/r
Love my diamond deluxe and it is so easy to use and love the large hoops too