Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with design wall >

Help with design wall

Help with design wall

Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I think that part of the problem is that the fleece is too heavy. I'd purchase a thin, cheap flannel in white or another light color. I assume that you've purchased a 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam, so a 44 inch flannel fabric won't go around the edges to the back. If that's the case, you can stitch a narrow piece of fabric to the edges. But I wouldn't make myself crazy about that. Instead, I'd make some "straps" out of elastic. You sew the elastic on one edge about 8 or 10 inches from the corner, then go around the back of the board diagonally to the adjacent edge. Sew elastic so that all four corners can be attached. This may be enough but I would consider adding elastic on the long side that goes around the back to the opposite long side. This will hold the center section in place. When all five pieces of elastic are stitched on, you slide the center elastic on, then attach the corner pieces in place. The elastic will stretch to make it easy to put on and then go back into shape to hold the flannel.
I think the elastic is the best idea but there is glue out there just for styrofoam. Any other glue "melts" the styrofoam--ask me how I know! :)
Do you know the name of that glue?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I think that part of the problem is that the fleece is too heavy. I'd purchase a thin, cheap flannel in white or another light color. I assume that you've purchased a 4 x 8 sheet of styrofoam, so a 44 inch flannel fabric won't go around the edges to the back. If that's the case, you can stitch a narrow piece of fabric to the edges. But I wouldn't make myself crazy about that. Instead, I'd make some "straps" out of elastic. You sew the elastic on one edge about 8 or 10 inches from the corner, then go around the back of the board diagonally to the adjacent edge. Sew elastic so that all four corners can be attached. This may be enough but I would consider adding elastic on the long side that goes around the back to the opposite long side. This will hold the center section in place. When all five pieces of elastic are stitched on, you slide the center elastic on, then attach the corner pieces in place. The elastic will stretch to make it easy to put on and then go back into shape to hold the flannel.
I think the elastic is the best idea but there is glue out there just for styrofoam. Any other glue "melts" the styrofoam--ask me how I know! :)
Do you know the name of that glue?
I just googled it. Joanns sells it -- http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...=Google%20Base

I'm sure I've seen styrofoam glue in Michaels and they sell it on Amazon cheaper and also have a spray adhesive for styrofoam.