Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Easy pattern >

Help with Easy pattern

Help with Easy pattern

Old 02-27-2016, 05:43 AM

D9P is a good one, I do agree with others on this board, Bonnie Hunter has some great scrappy's Some of hers take lots of scraps. One go to I have is a scrappy log cabin. If you use scrappy stips on one side and a solid color on the other side of the block it can make for a stunning quilt. I have used Eleanor Burns log cabin pattern lots of times, but it does use all 2 1/2 strips.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM

love this one .......
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I did up one block of the 2 X 3-1/2 inch rectangles that I saw on Pinterest. Hers were completely scrappy blocks but I wanted to try to see if putting all darks on one side and lights on another would give an almost Log Cabin block. There are lots of different arrangements for Log Cabinblocks and this size rectangles end up being a 9-1/2 inch block. It was really easy and I pressed all the seam allowances outward for a nice flat look. [ATTACH=CONFIG]543529[/ATTACH]
Old 02-27-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
If your friend is very new to quilting she may have not mastered the perfect 1/4" seam, and some of the quilts mentioned require this skill.. I used to start new quilters out with string quilts using the stitch and flip method. Start with a slightly larger square and trim to size. These blocks don't stretch and are easy to sew together, in many different patterns. I want new quilters to be successful and not have to stress about sewing exact seams. IMHO
I second this as well. I have taught a few kids to sew and the string block is a great way to start. No worries on perfect seams. Just make sure she sees the 'MAGIC" when you trim it up.Kids were not impressed until it LOOKED like a block!
Old 02-27-2016, 07:51 AM

Tartan, I love your scrappy block!!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:29 PM

I am currently cutting all scraps into 2.5" strips and connecting them into a giant roll, with the intent to do a "jelly roll race", some of my pieces are only one inch wide, so lots of scrappiness to it.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Wow Tartan! Your block looks wonderful. I never thought of piecing it that way, with the lights on one side, and darks on the other. It's striking.
Barb
Old 02-28-2016, 04:16 AM
dmh

I vote...............5 inch squares charm packs sewn together. Maybe a solids charm pack and some with patterns. Can't get easier than that, or 10 inch squares (layer cakes).
Old 02-28-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
My favorite is Boxed Squares. I have made this one twelve times. Easy, fun, and very impressive when a lot of colors are used.
Thank you so much for posting this quilt! I have printed the instructions and will make it soon! It's perfect for my needs! love this forum and all the help that you wonderful quilters give to the rest of us!