Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help -Emergency how do I remove pencil marks, #2? w/o washing quilts? >

Help -Emergency how do I remove pencil marks, #2? w/o washing quilts?

Help -Emergency how do I remove pencil marks, #2? w/o washing quilts?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Default People against pencils on quilts!!

Thank you so much. To answer your questions, these quilts are gifts and I want them to be as pristine as possible. The pencil marks are guidelines to cut quilt or square up and trim I assume.

My DH and I took them to a school with large tables and measured to square and cut off excess but in places there are multiple lines from the LA quilter, where she had planned to cut I guess.

Am horrified that after all this work the quilts will be ruined. They are both the light colored version of Kaleidoscope of Kolor and I even managed to get the all surrounding flying geese right!!!!!

I will try both eraser and tide spot remover but really don't want to wet or distort fabric as still must square up and cut off excess before binding.

Truth be told I am scared I will damage or distort quilts so I am very, very grateful for your help and need all I can get.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM

Default pencil marks

Did you do a search on her about "pencil marks? I wrote down something about removing them with (alcohol) I think. Do not do this unless you do it on a scrap piece of fabric.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:56 AM

if you have a good artist supply store, there is a pliable/soft eraser that you can roll over the marks or press onto and lift and usually it picks up the lead without rubbing or stretching the material. This use to come in a pale blue square but is moldable. It is used with charcoal work. good luck.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM

I have used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it has worked well, I did wet the magic eraser but not the quilt.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:37 PM

First make sure your hands are clean as you do not want them to leave a mark. Use a good quality Fabric Eraser gently, work on a hard surface and keep the quilt taught where you are working and be very careful not to pill the fabric where you rub. Use a good light and brush away the rubbings as you go as these tend to wear the fabric. Lastly a light dubbing with water only not allowing the fabric to get wet. I work in Gallery Conservation.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:49 PM

How about spraying with Oxiclean. I've sprayed it on the front of my white shirt while wearing it, to get rid of the tomato sauce that had dripped. It actually faded away while I was wearing it. Took all of the stain out.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Banned

don't use Dawn dish washing liquid in the formulae above. I am told it has a chemical in it that will set the marks.

I have used a Pink Pearl rubber eraser with some success on pencil marks. It is soft and clean. I find sometime the white "fabric" erasers pick up some of the graphite and smudge the rest of the area.

The formulae works I am told. Do as suggested above and then blot with rag dipped in clear water and continue until all out. Many hand quilters swear by this.

There is also a product made by Quilters Rule for removing marks.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM

I tried a soft gum eraser but it didn't lift much pencil off so as my husband had gone over the mountain to town I asked him to pick up a fabric eraser from Joann fabrics.
Works a treat, your advise for method is perfect Merivale. You were also right about the rubbings - they do wear. Found out the hard way! Most marks are now gone but I soooo appreciate everyone's advise as there are so many pencils, that do not disappear as they advertise beyond the soft lead pencil on my quilt.

This has been a really scary experience for me and I want to thank you all again for rallying to help a struggling quilter.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 AM

What a relieve, I have been worrying about you, after all that work it must
Have been distressing to say the least. The Most Merry Christmas to you.