Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Eyelashes on top of quilt >

Help! Eyelashes on top of quilt

Help! Eyelashes on top of quilt

Old 05-11-2020, 03:39 PM

Default Help! Eyelashes on top of quilt

Hi. I am free motion quilting and I keep getting these eyelashes on the top of my quilt. It happened after I put in a new bobbin. The top thread is just so loose.
i tried adjusting all of tension, changing the needle, cleaning my machine, changing speed, changing the thread/bobbin. I’m not sure what else it could be. Please send ideas.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:26 PM

I suggest completely take out top thread and rethread the machine, making sure the foot is up, before running thread through tension discs. I very rarely have to adjust my top/bottom tensions.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I suggest completely take out top thread and rethread the machine, making sure the foot is up, before running thread through tension discs. I very rarely have to adjust my top/bottom tensions.
Unfortunately, I also tried this also. I followed all the steps on the brother website for these types of problems and it appears I may need to get it serviced.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by hailey View Post
Unfortunately, I also tried this also. I followed all the steps on the brother website for these types of problems and it appears I may need to get it serviced.
Have you double checked to make sure you have put the bobbin in correctly....making sure you did not put it in backwards? I have done this and it messes things up badly.....
Old 05-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
Have you double checked to make sure you have put the bobbin in correctly....making sure you did not put it in backwards? I have done this and it messes things up badly.....
yes, it’s in the right way. Also at the same time, my automatic cutter stopped cutting the bobbin thread like it should do. Another reason I now think it’s a machine problem.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:22 PM

Hmmmm I find it odd that it was working just fine until you put in another bobbin. That's too much of a coincidence for me. Have you tried a different bobbin?
Old 05-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Check to see if you have a small piece of thread beneath the plate. Either in the bobbin area or where the cutter is. I have found just a very small piece in the cutter area can really make a
mess
Old 05-11-2020, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Hmmmm I find it odd that it was working just fine until you put in another bobbin. That's too much of a coincidence for me. Have you tried a different bobbin?
Yep. Maybe could it be that I’m using plastic bobbins? I think I read that those can be warped or something, but that’s what my machine came with.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Check your plastic bobbin. With my old machine, the top cracked away from the middle from winding on thread and I didn’t notice until my sewing went wonky.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:01 AM

I have also found some plastic bobbins are just bad, irregularities from the process. I also change the needle in these cases in case it got nicked or other issues, and yes, sometimes brand new needles can be a problem too. I became a fan of prewound bobbins over the years but some of those (especially the cardboard ones) also fail too.

Is always so frustrating. I hate it when everything is working just fine and then it isn't.. Usually the old saying was "problem on top/thread on bottom". So yeah, go back through the entire threading process again. Clean the bobbin casing area very well. You mentioned it was a brother and had a thread cutter so it is a reasonably high end machine. It was the bobbin casing unit that started going bad on my first Brother. I could hear the bobbin clunking around periodically it would jump up and hit the top plate. In my case, it wasn't worth repairing. One thing I can say about the bottom of the line Brother I'm using now while my other two machines are down, is that of all things it is very well designed to where you really have to work hard to get the bobbin in the wrong way.