Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help find tute on sewing tote >

Help find tute on sewing tote

Help find tute on sewing tote

Old 05-10-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Help find tute on sewing tote

Within in the last week I came across a blog from a lady who made a real cute sewing implement tote bag. It looked kinda like a man's toiletry bag but hers of course was in a pretty printed material and it opened up with about 6-7 or 8 compartments for sewing implments. One of the pieces was made with snaps she attached in the corner of the bag to hold ?(something) andd behind that was a small place to hold upright things like small scissors/seam ripper, etc. I just don't remember if it was listed in someone's post here on QB or if I came across it on someone's blog. If anyone in QB can help I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Sounds very interesting, hope someone can find it for you! Please post a link to the blog, when you find it!!!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

This was posted earlier this week on a different thread. Not a tutorial, but a pattern. Sounds like what you are describing, however.

http://bionicgearbag.com/buy-the-pattern/
Old 05-10-2014, 02:26 PM

This bag is so neat I watched the video, great design!
Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM
KLO

Yes, it is a great looking bag. It would be so great to carry to sewing events/gatherings. So much controversy about it though. What a shame! Wish there wasn't so much animosity in this world now.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:34 AM

I love this bag. I would love to purchase one already made. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Banned

Hi Sew Freak.... (and everyone else here) .....

I was told in an email about this thread - so I thought I'd come over to thank you for the interest and compliments.

If I can ask a favor, though... please keep the "controversy" out of this. I promise, everything is gonna be OK... there is no copyright infringement, etc. The use of fabric, zippers & binding is not something any of us can own nor protect through copyright - or even patent. Seems there is a whole lotta confusion out there. If anyone wants to debate it, you can tackle me on my personal blog - but please leave it off of the forums, please.

My bag stands on its own merits - which is why I made the video before launching the pattern. It's hard to imagine all the stuff it holds unless you see one. I've never seen a bag offered with these dimensions, for this purpose in mind, nor that makes a tray in front. These were things that I wanted.

It started with paper and pencil and a pile of stuff on that table (my favorite sewing tools, etc on one side... and a pile of computer peripheral junk on the other.) I wrote the instructions & took pictures to make it as understandable as I could.

When I made the pattern, one section (for the little fabric bowl with magnets) somehow got vaporized (deleted) when I was compiling the PDF. I needed to make that available for the people that bought the pattern on Craftsy - so I put that one section up on its own over there just a few days ago as a freebie, of course.

I made the website before launching the pattern as a place to put tutorials, etc. I already have the tutorial for how to install the small zippers posted on the site that someone else here linked (a few posts back) - and it's on YouTube.

I'm also a knitter... so the next thing on the drawing board is a bag that accommodates small knitting projects (like gloves, mittens or socks) while keeping the stuff neat and clean - (also with a tray out front) - while having the work quickly accessible as well as fast to zip up and put away. ---heh heh--- I know how we knitters are.. just "one more stitch" before putting things away ... lol.

Last thing I'm going to say (for now - ) ... I have taught crafty/sewing classes in the past, and I enjoy it. So one of the things that makes this all worth doing is this: I would like to change in the world (with one young person or newbie at a time!) to bring the peacefulness, joy and pride of making something - (so satisfying!) - that sewing & quality hobbies bring to our lives.

I see as an almost-lost generation to this sort of thing - so sad. Kids are craving to find joy - and they're not exposed (enough anyway, IMO) to things like sewing that might calm them and bring happiness - without the use of chemicals, etc. Some are so bored - I have a hard time understanding that - I always had something to do! There's no more exposure to sewing in school. Bummer. So...to try to at least influence my little corner of the world: I bought a machine for my granddaughter's 7th birthday - she is now turning 9.

I try to teach her that even projects that look complicated are really not. They're just one little simple procedure after another that result in coming together to create something really, really cool in the end. She knows how to cut with a rotary, how to make 1/4" seams, and I taught her how to install zippers last month.

The granddaughter - (the little one on the left) helped to teach her friend how to use her machine. So cute.. you shoulda seen it! I loved watching.

They made embroidered, zippered box pencil pouches with a cool design (from Urban Threads) last month when they were on spring break.

So honestly, when *she* has the desire, I want my tutorials and videos to be good enough that she could pretty much make a project like this on her own. I bet she does one before summer is out.

Again, thanks again for the kind words... I really appreciate it.

Sally aka:RipStitcher
Old 05-11-2014, 10:06 AM

i saw this bag also and it did look like a great one
Old 05-11-2014, 12:28 PM

This bag is ingenious! Yes, I've seen bags that are similar - pockets/compartments/zippers - but NEVER have I seen one with the tray in the front. I've just ordered the pattern, currently $9 for a 35 page pattern! Sounds like I will get detailed instructions, which I love. People tell me how creative I am; my response is always the same: Give me a decent pattern, and I can follow it - but don't ask me to design something as I have no ability.

I'm already thinking about what to use the bags for. I'll need one for sewing, of course, and like the idea of one for computer "stuff." But what I really need one for is a new makeup bag. In the morning, I take everything I am planning to use and put it on the counter: Moisturizer, foundation, shadows, blush, liner, mascara, appropriate brushes... Now I will be able to take the items I want from the appropriate pocket or compartment, set it in the front, and as it's used, put it back where it belongs. Nothing will roll off onto the floor, or worse, into the sink!

The tray totally makes this different from any other product I've seen! Thanks, Sally!
Old 05-11-2014, 03:36 PM
Banned

Thank you *so* *much* !!!

I was out doing a little damage at Joann's ...been running around all day... I hope nobody else within 20 miles of me needs 9" zippers anytime soon! I really gotta start buying those off of Etsy. .

Just sitting here here at a BBQ restaurant waiting for my kids to show up. It was so nice popping in here to see your comments. I'm so grateful!

Hope per you all are having an awesome Mother's Day!

Sally. - aka Rip.