Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help to find where to quilt >

Help to find where to quilt

Help to find where to quilt

Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
Banned

I bought the most wonderful bright and gay backing fabric ---2 1/2 metres from my chimney sweep's wife black background and called champagne party, then found a top that matched ALL colours and odd black squares with party masks ------perfect!!
Hope to make a quillow which have never done before AND altho [don't laugh plse] have made over 20 quilts , self taught, have only ever stitched in the ditch ,will ALWAYS hand quilt but do machine 1st stage of binding .
The pattern of top consists of 2 1/2 inch squares "around the world" 49x72 inches[ of course !] plse will you advise me where you suggest I quilt, had thought staight line [easy!] diagonally but was told by a knowledgeable lady that this could be difficult as the corners of the squares are more bulky. It was suggested that I quilt in a staight line across middle of squares ; any more suggestions please? Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Have you tried this method to reduce the bulk at the intersections?

http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com...lat-seams.html

It makes a world of difference in the thickness of the intersecting seams. I do mine this way all the time now. It takes a little longer, but is well worth it!

Alternatively, you could stitch a serpentine or wavy stitch back and forth over the seams and avoid the intersections. My machine has a serpentine stitch, but if yours doesn't you could just move the fabric back and forth to do the same.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 PM
Banned

thanks for the tip ,only ever quilt by hand HATE HATE maching ,never feel in charge , but do so enjoy hand quilting which can be done anywhere.