Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help finding pattern, please? >

Help finding pattern, please?

Help finding pattern, please?

Old 02-17-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Help finding pattern, please?

Hi-

Does anyone recognize this lovely pattern? I would love to be able to order it!

Thanks so much!
Old 02-17-2021, 01:01 PM

It's a pretty simple pattern to copy. The blocks have only two components: big half-square-triangles and little half-square triangles. (HST = half-square triangle) I'd guess that the big HSTs are 6"x6" (finished) and that the little HSTs are 2"x2" (finished).

To construct a block:
1) sew a big HST
2) sew 16 little HSTs
3) sew three HSTs into a strip, repeat
4) sew one strip onto one side of the big HST and other strip on the opposite side
5) sew 5 HSTs into a strip, repeat
6) sew one strip onto one side of the big HST and other strip on the opposite side

The quilt shown has the blocks set on point - the big blue triangles are the setting triangles. The size quilt you want determines how many blocks (and setting triangles) you need to make your quilt.

If you're new to quilting, I suggest making a test block with any fabric you have handy. Some people enjoy working with HSTs, and some people find working with lots of small ones aggravating. There are lots of different methods for making HSTs. I prefer using a method where I cut the fabric a little bit large and then trim down after the parts are sewn together.

Last edited by platyhiker; 02-17-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:07 PM

Default Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by platyhiker View Post
It's a pretty simple pattern to copy. The blocks have only two components: big half-square-triangles and little half-square triangles. (HST = half-square triangle) I'd guess that the big HSTs are 6"x6" (finished) and that the little HSTs are 2"x2" (finished).

To construct a block:
1) sew a big HST
2) sew 16 little HSTs
3) sew three HSTs into a strip, repeat
4) sew one strip onto one side of the big HST and other strip on the opposite side
5) sew 5 HSTs into a strip, repeat
6) sew one strip onto one side of the big HST and other strip on the opposite side

The quilt shown has the blocks set on point - the big blue triangles are the setting triangles. The size quilt you want determines how many blocks (and setting triangles) you need to make your quilt.

If you're new to quilting, I suggest making a test block with any fabric you have handy. Some people enjoy working with HSTs, and some people find working with lots of small ones aggravating. There are lots of different methods for making HSTs. I prefer using a method where I cut the fabric a little bit large and then trim down after the parts are sewn together.
What size would you suppose the big blue setting triangles to be? 10" x 10"? I'm just counting the little ones beside it to guesstimate.

Last edited by JDArby; 02-17-2021 at 02:13 PM. Reason: may haver answered my own question. Didn't want to appear completely clueless!
Old 02-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Setting triangles would be 15.5 inch square cut into 4 triangles. Corner triangle would be 8 in cut in half
Old 02-17-2021, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
setting triangles would be 15.5 inch square cut into 4 triangles. Corner triangle would be 8 in cut in half

thank you!!!
Old 02-18-2021, 05:07 AM

Thumbs up name of pattern

[QUOTE=JDArby;8461793]Hi-

Does anyone recognize this lovely pattern? I would love to be able to order it!
The pattern is called Lady of the Lake. I found it on quilter's cache for free! Can't get any better than that!
Old 02-18-2021, 05:10 AM

Thumbs up name of pattern

The pattern is called Lady of the Lake. I found it on quilter's cache for free! Can't get any better than that!

Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 AM

Another one here for down-load.

https://www.fatquartershop.com/lady-...k-free-pattern

There is also an option to purchase different layouts on the same site.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:53 PM

Lisa Bongean of Primitive Gatherings has a pattern called Ladies on the Lake. I made that pattern. It uses 2” HSTs and 8” HSTs. My one recommendation is to oversize the HSTs and invest in Bloc Loc Rulers. They are a lifesaver and makes perfect HSTs. Time consuming but not difficult. I’d post a pic but am having trouble. Good luck.