Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP with fixing quilt after quilting >

HELP with fixing quilt after quilting

HELP with fixing quilt after quilting

Old 04-23-2023, 11:33 AM
srg

Default HELP with fixing quilt after quilting

I accidentally cut off one of my points when squaring up and the quilt is not even. Is there anything at all I can to rescue this quilt?
Old 04-23-2023, 11:56 AM
Power Poster

Are you able to post a picture?

We can give better suggestions if we know what we are talking about.We

Do you have any fabric left over?

Old 04-23-2023, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

If you add a border around the quilt with the inseams to the inside and then add your top border to extend it you could square it up that way. The other way would be to unpick that whole side and redo the blocks and add them on the way I mentioned above.
Are you sure you are sending it to anyone who would even notice the mistake? So many people don't know anything about a quilt and might not notice your boo boo.
Old 04-26-2023, 07:44 AM

This raises an excellent point: I have never seen a set of instructions for squaring a quilt that has points on the edges. And I have never seen a discussion of how to square a quilt without the blocks being "reduced".

Most of the instructons I have watched online just use a seam to make the first trim, then use that side to make the square cut for the next side. Obviously this can result in cutting off points or cutting block sides at an angle.

While this points up the necessity for accuracy when completing designs so that the squaring is not going to mess up your edge blocks, I wonder why, if we are not submitting the quilt to a panel of judges at a show, we square up at all. If the quilt is a bit off square but is just a cuddle quilt, does it matter??

The best preventive I would think is to put a border on first? Small irregularities in the border would not be obvious.

Or should you block (steam and press into square) the quilt to make it square?