Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with Flange binding >

Help with Flange binding

Help with Flange binding

Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Default Help with Flange binding

My first attempt with flange binding.
The binding is complete and ready to go on the back of the quilt. The quilt sits with all it's excesses on all 4 sides.
How much of the quilt do I trim off to ensure when the binding flips over 1) to cover the stitch line 2) fill the binding? Where do I stitch the binding to on the back?
With the binding ironed in half wrong sides together the binding part is 1"1/8 in. and the flange is 1/8"in.
Normally I leave 3/8" excess when stitching front to back. Thank you in advance!!
Old 01-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Charismah's Quick Machine binding with flange is in QB tutorials. In it you sew the prepared flange binding to the back and bring it to the front. You match the thread to the flange and backing fabric and you stitch right along the flange where it is sewn to the other binding fabric. Without knowing what you cut your binding at, I cannot say what to trim your quilt edge at. Charismah's tutorial was for 1/4 inch binding so that is what I cut my quilt edge at.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM

I couldn't remember the name with the tutorial, it was Charismah's tutorial I used! I wrote down notes to take to the cutting mat.
Yes, I have matching thread for the flange.
My game plan: trim the quilt 1/4" from the edge of the quilt top, sew raw edges(binding and backing) together on the back side with 1/4"in seam, flip over and SITD between binding and flange. Sound right?
Old 01-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I normally cut my quilt to the edge of the quilt and I use 2.25" flange binding on my quilts. You have to see what you are comfortable with sewing.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 PM

I usually trim off the excess to the edge of the quilt top. I sew the binding onto the back with a scant 1/4" seam. Flip to the front. I pin it in place so that the seam between colors is just on the quilt side of the sew line from when I sewed it on the back. I sew it down as close to the seam between colors as I can. Make the bobbin thread match the backing. I usually get a nice line of stitching on the back just below the binding, on the backing. Hope this is clearer than mud! Ann
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 AM

In my new, improved thinking, leaving 1/4" excess beyond the quilts edge maybe not such a good thing. Sewing through backing and batting only, might get messy.
New game plan: trim to edge of quilt top, sew binding at scant 1/4", flip, pin past sew line(to quilt side), SITD as close as possible to the seam of flange/binding. Good shape for thread for both flange and backing.
Thank you Ladies!
I do so appreciate everything I have learned here on the QB!! Jo Anne
Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I have found that instead of using a thread color to match the flange, I use clear monofilament thread instead.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:14 PM

Feline Fanatic-I do have Monofilament thread, not my or my machine's favorite thing to work with. The thread I was originally thinking of using is the same thread I used for the topstitching, which is the same color as my backing and flange. DMC machine embroidery thread 50 wt.
Maybe the monofilament would be better, hide my errors better? I have plenty of room for improvement with my SITD.